Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No BS.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you mean that sti came out in '93, it was formed in 1989 when subaru started the legacy rally car. they even had a sti model released in japan in 1990.
There were no STi BC/BF's I believe you're thinking of the Legacy RS-R and RS-RA. STi wasn't really a division/company/whatever until the introduction of the impreza. They were around before the impreza though.

i dont thing your crazy or insane WJM, i like the plan you have. i i have a plan too, to increase hp on engine. and so far i happy with my calutaion on hp. i'm gona stop on about 250 hp on an ea82t engine, it's more then enough for me. there is one thing i have to say too you WJM, and it's like this. GO FOR IT:)

I really think that the stock system is what limits these engines, I wonder what a stock engine would do with an aftermarket ECU system? (doesn't really matter which one) hmmmmm........maybe I should try it in my hatch?

It is not to prove a point. This is for my own enjoyment. While I do love the STi and the entire EJ line, I am not going to spend $34G's on a brand new STi....and then spend even more to mod the crap out of it. Why would i mod it? To go to the SCCA Nationals to win Street Mod, thats why. My ultimate aim is to build this GL-10 to be a VERY potent track car, and to be able to win Divisionals for SM, and possibly place high at the nationals.

Well I just finished building a car that I think will give any currently sold in the USA STi a good run for their money, and I haven't put $6000 into it yet. For about another $500, I could probably guarantee that it would beat and stock STi, and I'd still be under $6000. And it is reliable enough to be my daily driver.

There were no STi BC/BF's I believe you're thinking of the Legacy RS-R and RS-RA. STi wasn't really a division/company/whatever until the introduction of the impreza. They were around before the impreza though.

OK, so tell me when they introduced the Impreza. DUH, let me see, somewhere around 1993 I believe. And the first Legacy RS's were built by STi, but it wasn't known as STi then.

Well I just finished building a car that I think will give any currently sold in the USA STi a good run for their money, and I haven't put $6000 into it yet. For about another $500, I could probably guarantee that it would beat and stock STi, and I'd still be under $6000. And it is reliable enough to be my daily driver.

ok...and your point? I could build one fo those too. I'd take a 95 brighton L coupe and get a version 5 or 6 or 7 front clip and pull some Lego action...whamo. A 2600lb AWD rocket. Granted it would be easier than doing the whole EA82T built up, as most of it would be bolt on or close to it.

Still, i have no 'beef' about the Ultimate RX or the first 96 WRX coupe in USA, i think they are cool. I'm just going build an STi beater out of my GL-10.

That's good for you Dr. RX, you took a car that already had an EJ, already had the better suspension, and you swapped engines did a little work here and there, and you came out under 6 grand. WJM wants his wagon to do that as well, which means he is going to have to build it differently. Which in turn means more money coming out of his pocket. I really see this coming out like all those 1000 horsepower Supras out there, fun but some what unreilably. But who knows nobodys ever built an EA-82T like this

Another EDIT: For those who dont believe me...I HAVE considered an EJ build as well. If i ever do an EJ...it would be an EJ22G/EJ257 N/A build...10:1 compression, EJ257 HGs with the 2.5RS DOHC heads with some pretty nasty cams....

Why only 10:1? When I was still planning to go full N/A on my 2.5RS, I was planning to use the 11:1 forged pistons from TWE (requires premium fuel). They also have 12:1 pistons, but they require race gas. ;) (Stock is 9.7:1 for the 1998-99 2.5RS and 10:1 for the 2000-01 2.5RS, BTW.)

I personally wouldn't mess with the DOHC heads either. Not only are the SOHC aftermarket cams cheaper (having half as many cams has that effect...lol), but many of the tuners don't even offer upgraded DOHC cams yet (this is partly since the 2.5RS only came with DOHC for one year...1998 (even though the Legacies did have DOHC 2.5L engines for a few years prior to that)). The advantages aren't really high enough to make it worth it to use DOHC heads/cams for an N/A 2.5L build.

Why only 10:1? When I was still planning to go full N/A on my 2.5RS, I was planning to use the 11:1 forged pistons from TWE (requires premium fuel). They also have 12:1 pistons, but they require race gas. ;) (Stock is 9.7:1 for the 1998-99 2.5RS and 10:1 for the 2000-01 2.5RS, BTW.)

I personally wouldn't mess with the DOHC heads either. Not only are the SOHC aftermarket cams cheaper (having half as many cams has that effect...lol), but many of the tuners don't even offer upgraded DOHC cams yet (this is partly since the 2.5RS only came with DOHC for one year...1998 (even though the Legacies did have DOHC 2.5L engines for a few years prior to that)). The advantages aren't really high enough to make it worth it to use DOHC heads/cams for an N/A 2.5L build.

Delta Cam will grind something for me. ;)

That's good for you Dr. RX, you took a car that already had an EJ, already had the better suspension, and you swapped engines did a little work here and there, and you came out under 6 grand. WJM wants his wagon to do that as well, which means he is going to have to build it differently. Which in turn means more money coming out of his pocket. I really see this coming out like all those 1000 horsepower Supras out there, fun but some what unreilably. But who knows nobodys ever built an EA-82T like this

It is apparent that you don't know about UltimateRX. I just stated that I had build something that could do what he said he was trying to do and didn't spend as much money as he thinks it will cost. Yes, it was pretty much a bolt up, but that was the beauty of it, it didn't take much to put it together, but when it came to wiring up so that it would work, that is something else. I am also hear to tell you, with over 40 years of race car building experience that you will never know someone who will build an EA82T like that for $6000 or less. Believe me, there are enough people out there with the passion for older Subarus and with the funds to do such an engine if it were possible, but guess what, nobody has done it. If I thought it was possible, heck I would have done it. I personally think it is insane to put that much horsepower into an EA82 series car, for one thing that unitized body will never take that kind of horsepower and the torque that would go along with it. I don't care what kind of brakes you put on the car, if you go too big, you will rip the suspension right out from underneath that car. So go ahead build it if you think you can. make me eat crow, nothing would please me better. But remember, I will also be here to tell you I told you so when it doesn't happen.

WJM, Not arguing with the possibility of this happening, Just want to know how you know this without it being done. Is there some sort of computer program or something that tells you that the EA82T will have x amount of HP if you do this or that? It definately would be cool to go around smokin people in an old 4 dr subaru.

OK, so tell me when they introduced the Impreza. DUH, let me see, somewhere around 1993 I believe. And the first Legacy RS's were built by STi, but it wasn't known as STi then.
Are you arguing or agreeing? We're saying the same thing here. I was responding to someone else.

WJM, Not arguing with the possibility of this happening, Just want to know how you know this without it being done. Is there some sort of computer program or something that tells you that the EA82T will have x amount of HP if you do this or that? It definately would be cool to go around smokin people in an old 4 dr subaru.

Why yes, there is! Its in my head. I am going on estimated guesses, experiences of others and their builds, approximations on similar products on other engines and the gains they had.

By my approximation, on stock internals...the stock engine management+full exh mods, intake+td04+delta cams=approx 210-240 depending upon the cams used (260 vs 272) and boost levels/fuel/timing tuning and some other small things.

Using MS+DIS should open up more, using the slighlty higher compression and lighter/stronger internals should get us to the 300 mark.

Ultimately, I would love to build a 380 HP EA82T that's good for 20k miles of hard driving on the street.

But, I will be plenty happy with a 40k mile 230~280 range EA82T.

OK here's my 2 cents..that brings my tally up to 4 cents on this idea LOL

We all know 300BHP from an ea82 will be challenging and probably costly..challenging, but not impossible..we all know where we would probably spend that theoretical 6k, but here's how I see it:

If we have informed Will of our oppinions, differing from him or not, and he has heard us and even considered our view, even though he doesn't have to, it is his car he can do as he likes with it and his cash, then as fellow USMB members and subaru drivers we should offer our support and encouragement as this above all things has always made USMB a cool place and has spoken highly of fellow old gen subaru drivers/moders who hang out here while their beloved 10-20+ year old sub drips oil on its usual parking spot :)

Funny, I read the name of this thread and guessed exactly what I'd find inside. Will, I think you have made enough posts and threads, all nearly identical, all making the same claims. If you're going to go ahead with this project then go, but you don't have to talk our ears off until that time. We know what hp you think an ea82 can make, but our opinions aren't going to change until we are proved wrong. Simple as that.

i personly dont see why its such a crazy Idea, 300 engine hp isnt that bigger ask at all with some beefed up internals, there shouldn't be any need for further argument on that one.

btw, u dont need to touch cams or anything to do 250fly hp , everything u need for that is bolt on, u wouldnt want to do constant WOT style racing with it tho.. for piston duribility issues , but as far as getting air in and out itl flow 250 no prob on fairly high boost.

pls note im basing this on a jap engine, i dont know what sort of cams the US models ahv,e or wheather they're different for that matter.

you will never know someone who will build an EA82T like that for $6000 or less.
I'm not going to argue this over with you, but I will say one last thing to you. The problem with you old race guys is that you say NEVER too much, you can not say that it won't happen. Have you met WJM? I have, if anybodys going to bulid this I would but money on the fact that he WILL build it. (Oh and did you mean the UltimateRX? Cause I thought you meant your project that you just completed, which is what you said after reading you post again)