Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No BS.

The problem with you old race guys is that you say NEVER too much

I totally agree. I mean if noone ever tried anything different, we wouldn't have some of the great things we have now, boxers, fwd, awd, windows-within-windows, i could go on, but you get the point.

I also agree with bushbasher, WJM just get started on it. I havent even been paying much attention to this forum, but I already have seen quite a few of your topics ;).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why yes, there is! Its in my head. I am going on estimated guesses, experiences of others and their builds, approximations on similar products on other engines and the gains they had." (Posted by WJM)

Estimated Guesses??

Experiences of others and their builds?

Approximations on similar products on other engines and the gains they had??

Estimated guesses......Are just that....Guesses and can be waaaay off.

Experiences of others and their builds.....What good is that gonna do unless you have the same builds that they do? A+B=C but A+D does not = C

That's like taking a set of ingredients and changing one thing.

Your friend made brownies. You try to make better brownies by taking out the egg and putting in more oil. You don't have brownies when you are done, You have a laxative. See what I mean. As soon as you change one thing, it is a totally different outcome. Everything affects everything else.

Approximations on similar products on other engines and the gains they had.

Approximations? That's like a guess, right? Similar products? They could appear to be similar but have a different affect. Other engines?....What other engines? B16? 22R? EJ22? Other engines even if the same EA82T are not your engine.

I am not one to be a pessimist, I really like the idea of building up an EA82T and I truly believe that it has ALOT of potential. I like your ideas and your spirit and I agree with one of the above posts about giving you support. However, I see no facts. All I see is guesses, aproximations, estimates, and comparisons to unknown engine types with similar products all mixed up "in your head". I am not saying you are dumb, Heck, Maybe you are right on the money. I tend to have a little more trust in people who turn out the product. Dr RX has done his share of products, some were more work than others, he has years of experience under his belt and has proven himself. Subarubrat has more than proven himself, as well as a few others here. I guess I am saying, You are barking real loud but I don't see any bite. Prove yourself and you will gain much respect and credibility around here. Otherwise, you will probably be talked about. Please don't take what I say in a negative way. People just aren't going to believe anything until they see cold hard facts. Good luck to you, Boz

haha some of you guys are hilarious, your talking like there is no 300+hp EA82s out there.. we are talking about engine.fly HP arnt we? surely? its not that much hp these days,

i know of several with that sorta mumbo, a friend owns 1, the others are in europe,

welcome to the world of big turbos big intercoolers, highly flexible managment, u can get what used to be considered a lot out of an engine' u wouldnt normally consider possible,

dont you guys have hot ET pulsars over there? (e15T motor) , over here, theres several with up to 200kw ATW, thats at a guestimate 250+kw (330hp) at the engine , im sure ppl would have laughed at any1 trying to do that with an ET motor several yrs ago..

id love to see more hot RXs around, but unlike pulsars and the like, there arnt many around here! ur lucky to see one.

it really surprises me, i must say, that u guys are so pessimistic :-\

and ill finish by asking RX doctor i think it is.. what on earth do you think is needed to be done ot the engine that costs 6000 USD if your building the motor yourself.. to handle 300hp , hell even if the short motor was built by someone thats a lot of money! .

haha some of you guys are hilarious, your talking like there is no 300+hp EA82s out there.. we are talking about engine.fly HP arnt we? surely? its not that much hp these days,

i know of several with that sorta mumbo, a friend owns 1, the others are in europe,

welcome to the world of big turbos big intercoolers, highly flexible managment, u can get what used to be considered a lot out of an engine' u wouldnt normally consider possible,

dont you guys have hot ET pulsars over there? (e15T motor) , over here, theres several with up to 200kw ATW, thats at a guestimate 250+kw (330hp) at the engine , im sure ppl would have laughed at any1 trying to do that with an ET motor several yrs ago..

id love to see more hot RXs around, but unlike pulsars and the like, there arnt many around here! ur lucky to see one.

it really surprises me, i must say, that u guys are so pessimistic :-\

and ill finish by asking RX doctor i think it is.. what on earth do you think is needed to be done ot the engine that costs 6000 USD if your building the motor yourself.. to handle 300hp , hell even if the short motor was built by someone thats a lot of money! .

So lets see some dyno print outs of these magic EA82s you speak of... wait you dont have any? Its just a GUESS? Neat... As you can see there are lots of guesses and theorioes in this thread.

We prefer facts :rolleyes: Lots of people think they have tons of hp/torque. Fact is you dont know what you have untill you strap your rump roast down to a dyno and find out. WJM thought he had tons more power before his last dyno run and was dissapointed by the FACTS.

Also lets quit comparing GUESSTIMATED 4valve dohc engine outputs to 2valve sohc engines okay?

I'm not going to argue this over with you, but I will say one last thing to you. The problem with you old race guys is that you say NEVER too much, you can not say that it won't happen. Have you met WJM? I have, if anybodys going to bulid this I would but money on the fact that he WILL build it. (Oh and did you mean the UltimateRX? Cause I thought you meant your project that you just completed, which is what you said after reading you post again)
You know, I once talked as you do, I told all of the old engine builders that they were blowing smoke and didn't know what they were talking about. But years of working with engines have proved them right, I now wish that I had listened more to what they had to say. I guess it is something about being young that causes you not to listen to experience, I know, I never did when I was your age. As for UltimateRX, no that is not what I was talking about, but you seemed to imply that I only did things with EJ series cars, I wasn't sure if you knew about my EA series project. No, I have never meant WJM, I would really like to though.

THAWA, pretty much the same as I said above, plus I think I stated that he would never build it for $6000 or less, not that he would never build it.

maJJORD, I have worked on many boxer engines, VW's, Porsches, and Subarus, the design has certain limits and the best way to increase horsepower in a boxer and maintain reliability is to increase displacement. Look at Porsche, their SOHC engine started as a 2 liter, it is now up to 3.8 I believe, the VW engine was 1100cc I think at the beginning, I believe it was 2000cc at the end. Subaru has done the same. Porsche tried many times to create a high horsepower small displacement engine, starting in their RS race cars and ending with the Carrera 2 (sp?), these were DOHC engines, started out with roller bearings in the crank, but ended up with plain bearings. The last engine was 2 liters, and it only had 130hp, of course it was N/A fuel injected. They did make an eight cylinder 2 liter that had around 200hp. So, with all this in mind, if I were to try to build an EA82T to make 300hp, what would I do. First I would work on the weakest links in the engine, I consider those the timing belts and the intake air flow. For the timing belts, I would work on building a geared system to turn those and the other timing belt drive acessories. If your engine doesn't breath right, you'll never get the horsepower you are looking for. I would probably build a new intake, on with better flow characteristics, I would completely rework the flow on the heads, maybe even create new heads, I really don't like the fact the the exhaust flows through one port. I'd use stainless steel valves in the head, as big as possible. Next I would tackle the recipricating parts, I would have a new crank ground out of a single billet, that would require reworking the lower end on the block for clearance. I would have the crank nitrated, and journals micro polished. I would use 'H' beam forged rods with forged pistons, the shirts on the pistons would be teflon coated and telfon buttons in the wrist pin holes, probably about 8.5:1 compression ratio. I think the cam Will stated is a little too mild to produce 300hp, I would increase the duration and lift a little. I would go with two turbos since the car would be road raced, that would reduce the turbo lag and increase the boost. As you can see, such an engine would eat up $6000 pretty quickly.

I know it sounds like I'm not supporting WJM, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have just tried to convey my experience so that he doesn't make the same mistakes. I would really like for him to do his homework before he jumps into something like this. Talk to some Porsche tuners, the engine are similar enough the techniques they use will work on a Subaru. I do know what it is like to be on the ledging edge of engine development, I was turbocharging engines in the late 60's and early 70's, long before it was considered and acceptable way to boost and engine.

i believe it was the BeastieBoys who said it best, "i dont mean to brag, i dont mean to boast, but im intercontinental when i eat french toast."

i have projects going, but i dont make a big rump roast bs post about it before i start, or before i even have any parts. or when i dont even plan on doing it. the only peepl who are impressed by these ideas, are the 16 year old fast and the furious junkies.

i believe it was the BeastieBoys who said it best, "i dont mean to brag, i dont mean to boast, but im intercontinental when i eat french toast."

i have projects going, but i dont make a big rump roast bs post about it before i start, or before i even have any parts. or when i dont even plan on doing it. the only peepl who are impressed by these ideas, are the 16 year old fast and the furious junkies.

I hate, with a passion, anything and everything FATF. I hate Rice, Rice boys/girls, and everything associated with the ricer world. unless it can back up its rice with real power/handling/drivability/reliability/functionality, its nothing but POS rice.

There are SUBARUs that have suffered the fate of being riced out, but i will NEVER have a Rice'ed up SUBARU.

i dont know why you quoted me, and went on a tangent about rice. you must be crazy.

i think if you posted a list of parts, and dyno sheets from somebody that tried, and got close. along with a list of inmprvements over this mythical persons car then you might not get so many peepl saying you,personally, wont accomplish this.

everybody with a turbo thinks they have a ten second car

i dont know why you quoted me, and went on a tangent about rice. you must be crazy.

i think if you posted a list of parts, and dyno sheets from somebody that tried, and got close. along with a list of inmprvements over this mythical persons car then you might not get so many peepl saying you,personally, wont accomplish this.

I dont care how many second it makes the 1/4 in, i really dont. Seriously, i dont care. The onyl thing I car about is the speed matching that of a WRX first...then STi. Even if its only as quick as a lightly modded WRX...Id be more than happy.

The handling department is my MAIN concern...reliable power output in the 200-230 range is next.

My rant on rice is....just that, a rant.

dude, go away......................................

There are SUBARUs that have suffered the fate of being riced out, but i will NEVER have a Rice'ed up SUBARU.

Then you should probably take those STi stickers off the GL-10 wagon...LOL ;)

I dont care how many second it makes the 1/4 in, i really dont. Seriously, i dont care. The onyl thing I car about is the speed matching that of a WRX first...then STi. Even if its only as quick as a lightly modded WRX...Id be more than happy.

...and one of the best ways to prove that is 1/4 mile times and (even more importantly) 1/4 mile trap speeds. Dynoing to check your horsepower and doing power/weight calculations is all well and good (and definitely beneficial), but that doesn't take into account things like traction and gearing, which are just as much a part of acceleration as power and weight are.

Personally, I'm hoping to find a nice local 1/4 mile track that has some sort of Thursday night "grudge night" cheap-entry deal, so I can get some solid 1/4 mile figures to work with. Improvements like lightened flywheels, stickier tires, better diffs, different wheel/tire sizes, and different gear ratios are easier to notice on a drag strip than they will be on a dyno (and some of those won't even give results on a dyno, but will in real life).

I agree that drag racing is NOT what Subarus are really made/good for, but don't discount the usefulness of a good batch of consistent timeslips when you are tuning your car.

Then you should probably take those STi stickers off the GL-10 wagon...LOL ;)

...and one of the best ways to prove that is 1/4 mile times and (even more importantly) 1/4 mile trap speeds. Dynoing to check your horsepower and doing power/weight calculations is all well and good (and definitely beneficial), but that doesn't take into account things like traction and gearing, which are just as much a part of acceleration as power and weight are.

Personally, I'm hoping to find a nice local 1/4 mile track that has some sort of Thursday night "grudge night" cheap-entry deal, so I can get some solid 1/4 mile figures to work with. Improvements like lightened flywheels, stickier tires, better diffs, different wheel/tire sizes, and different gear ratios are easier to notice on a drag strip than they will be on a dyno (and some of those won't even give results on a dyno, but will in real life).

I agree that drag racing is NOT what Subarus are really made/good for, but don't discount the usefulness of a good batch of consistent timeslips when you are tuning your car.

Stickers? huh?

I really did that just for kicks....i kinda like it, it makes ppl think...and it was cheap and looks authetic. lol Call it rice if you want, cuz i know that in the real, it 99% is. Still....its not like i threw a Type R badge on a Civic, put big wheels on, cut my springs, put a fat can and a shiney pipe with a cone on it and say that i am fast....that and lay the seat all the way back and reach a MILE and a half to the wheel, only to drive with one hand in the 12 position. :headbang:

So lets see some dyno print outs of these magic EA82s you speak of... wait you dont have any? Its just a GUESS? Neat... As you can see there are lots of guesses and theorioes in this thread.

We prefer facts :rolleyes: Lots of people think they have tons of hp/torque. Fact is you dont know what you have untill you strap your rump roast down to a dyno and find out. WJM thought he had tons more power before his last dyno run and was dissapointed by the FACTS.

Also lets quit comparing GUESSTIMATED 4valve dohc engine outputs to 2valve sohc engines okay?

who is comparing an EA to an EJ??? *looks around* , no one i can see. certainly not me. im not stupid.

if i was doing that, id have to start hunting for dynosheets with twice the power..

ill get u at least 1 sheet when i can, its a chassis dyno , so ul have to guess engine output. perhaps ill just send him to this topic, there is an engine dynosheet floating around aswell, ill find it for you , from europe, 178kw i think it was, internally stock motor.

ive got a dyno printout from my car too, unfortunatly it started pinging so had to jump off the go pedal b4 it peaked , u can look at it for interests sake if it makes u happy.

who cares what the car will be worth at resale after putting 6k into it, i doubt that he is doing that just to sell the car, hell, if i sell the rx when i am dont, ill keep the engine and drivetrain from it, no point in doing all the work if its not going to be enjoyed. everyone here needs to go out, take a deep breath of fresh air, and just relax. everyone is getting wwwaaayyy to high strung for my liking, besides, no one is forcing you agree with the theory, if you think its stupid, thats your opinion and your right to feel that way, but please calm down a bit about all this, i sick of seeing people getting flamed on the forums, which is why i dont post much on nasioc anymore.

so everyone, go out, smoke a bowl, have a beer, have a cig, take a drive, just chill out. thats all i ask of you, this is supposed to be the more mature and intellagent subaru community, lets get along with each other and quit bashing other peoples' ambitions.

its all in good fun. I still am interested in the actualy sources for the major engine mod parts. espically the head studs (remember thats how the thread started?:rolleyes: )

if some one can tell me where to get them I will run em. I have a verry mild motor in the works right now but it could really use studs. I feel the head bolts are a design flaw. most boxers that are solid use studs.

we can argue back and forth all day (and the next few) but i want real info be it good or bad. I think his original statment was mostly on track and fully achievable if you dont concern your self with HP numbers. I really could care less about how much HP somthing has. I am impressed by a solid built and running motor that fits the cars use.

I think his original statment was mostly on track and fully achievable if you dont concern your self with HP numbers. I really could care less about how much HP somthing has. I am impressed by a solid built and running motor that fits the cars use.

i have to agree with that, totally.

Hi everyone,

Well arnt you all happy with each other. First, I would like to exclaim that I am indeed a rice boy. Not that I decided that, but for the fact that I drive a lowered yellow XT-6. Did I lower it by cutting the springs, did I paint it yellow with walmart spray can? No some little asian guy did. Met him once, hes driving a 300zx tt now. I just saw the car one day and was like "What the hell is that thing, an old prelude, thats cool." A few months later it was for sale. So what did I do to it, made it fast. I'm a cheap rump roast and over the last four years I have ever so slowly dumped cash into this thing. Not much, and most of it went to make it new as stock. Ex. The car leaked about a quart a week when I got it. Now it barley drips and I just needs a few parts to make that stop. Whats the deal with ricer haters there.... do you fear them, or is it deeper? Anyway, I say let the guy dream if thats what it is, or if hes really gonna do it, more power to him. There are many ways to mod a car and I say we should support it. If I had 6 grand to dump in my car, damn it would be cool, and yeah still worth like $3 grand, but hey my car's not a blue wrx and thats what I like the most.

Phil

They bit that from the sugar hill gang in rapper's delight "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but we're like hot butter on your breakfast toast"

. First, I would like to exclaim that I am indeed a rice boy.
Yay for you:rolleyes:

So what did I do to it, made it fast.
How?

Whats the deal with ricer haters there.... do you fear them, or is it deeper?
Yeah its fear:rolleyes:

I totally fear all things rice.. Things like this

226854_145_full.jpg

The wikid Kia of doom!

^^

Thats why there are rice haters.. If you're are a ricer, you get hated on.. Deal with it.