Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sticky Tach

Well when I dirve my car hard my tach gets stuck at 4k then when I smack the dash it gets loose and go's back to where it shoudl be (what ever RPM I am at at that moment) Any ideas oh yea does my ECS light have anything todo with this becasue it comes one after about 15 to 20 minutes of driving

Thanks

LeDevil

Ok.. standard questions..

What car, what year, what fuel system....(last question helpful for directing you to the proper way to deal with the light coming on)

ECS light is coming on because there is an error code in the ECU. read the code, determine the source, fix the problem

James, I've got no clue on the tach - but for the trouble codes/computer:

Take the panel off that is under the steering column/dash (right about where your knees are when sitting in the drivers seat)

- There should be a black or brass box with a little circular window, thats the cars computer - that window is what shows your trouble codes in a morse-code type fashion. Here's the link to the Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual's page on trouble codes, this should answer your ECS questions... or at least norrow down which new questions to ask :-\

http://www.usmb.net/repair/?CurrentDirectory=FOLDER_3f29b58f4430b8.49200047/&FileType=Article&File=ARTICLE_3f2c055f4862e9.39782181.art

Don't ever forget the excellent resource of the USRM (go to www.usmb.net then click on the USRM)

- Erik -

(btw, need to get ahold of you soon - bout the datsun)

Well when I dirve my car hard my tach gets stuck at 4k then when I smack the dash it gets loose and go's back to where it shoudl be (what ever RPM I am at at that moment) Any ideas oh yea does my ECS light have anything todo with this becasue it comes one after about 15 to 20 minutes of driving

Thanks

LeDevil