Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2000 Outback Limited vs. 2002 Outback

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TeamPanic

TeamPanic

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:41 PM

Ok, here's the deal, I'm trying to decide between these two cars and can't seem to pull the trigger. So, I thought if there was ever a place to help me it would be here because I trust your opinions and I like feedback with experienced folks. With that said, I found a 2000 Outback Limited wagon with 55,000 miles on it for $12,500. I also found a 2002 Outback wagon, not limited with 59,000 miles on it for $13,000. Both of the cars are in good condition with good tires. So, which car do you think would be the better deal? What are the benifits of getting a 2002 over a 2000 model? Do the 2002's have less engine problems compared to the 2000 models? At first, I thought that 59k miles on a 2002 was a lot, but that price is attractive. Also, the 2002 comes with a 1000 mile warranty while the 2000 does not have any warranty. I need to make a decision real quick, but I would really appreciate your advice first. Thanks a lot for your time!

#2 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:53 PM

I don't know the differences in the trim levels. You would have to decide for yourself what the value of the "Limited" features are.

At some point (supposedly), Subaru made a change to the Phase II head gasket to address the leaking problem. Again, I don't know what year that was done. But the newer, the better.

I've read that the 2000's (only) have a smaller front rotor. They quickly found out that it was not enough for the Outbacks and upsized in 2001. One reason to go with the newer vehicle.

Newer vehicle, less depreciation, even with the higher (per year) milage. It might mean something a few years from now if you are looking to deal it or sell it.

2000 was the first year of the model run. There are always some teething pains. (ie the front brakes)

Unless there are features on the Limited that you really can't be without, I'd say go for the 2002.

Commuter

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:02 PM

By then they were starting to sort some of the earlier problems out I believe.

#4 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:14 PM

I think in '03 they re-revised the headgaskets, but I'm not positive.

The '02 will have bigger front brakes like commuter mentioned, it also has the in-glass radio ant., 2 trip odometers, a outside temp gauge, and the cool delay off dome light (yea little stuff).

I believe the Limited comes with a sunroof, cold weather package, and I believe the side airbags.

It's a close call, but seeing the price and mileage about the same, having a car that's two years newer is a definite plus.

#5 TeamPanic

TeamPanic

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:35 AM

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. The 2002 that I'm looking at came out in Aug. of 01, but it's classified as an 02, so actually it's like 3 years old, fwiw. So are these engines the exact same or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users