Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to tell if Steering Rack is worn??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 84SOOB

84SOOB

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

How do you tell if your non-power steering rack is worn?? I remember Ed telling me he replaced his a couple of years ago on his Brat when the tire shop wouldn't align his front end. Any telltale signs/symtoms to look for?--thanks, Brian.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:26 PM

Well - there is backlash adjustment on the side of the rack for the rack and pinion gear clearance - you might check the adjustment on that, and you can replace the tie rods and ends.... after that, unless the gears are horribly worn (never seen that), then there really isn't much else to it..... I suppose you could have a really bad steering u-joint, or a torn rag joint in the linkage. Do a complete inspection I say.

Pull the boots back and check the play in the tie-rods, as those tend to get wonky after a while - especially if the boot is torn. The tie rod ends you should be able to inspect by getting under the car.

I don't know for sure, but maybe Ed was just saying he replaced the whole rack+tie rods+ends because a JY rack for $15 is cheaper than $100 in tie rods and ends???

GD

#3 Humble Nuto 53

Humble Nuto 53

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • squaresville baby

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

i paid 45 for inners and 44 for outers, each piece, same price for ea81 and ea82

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

They can be found cheaper than that online. Around $35 for the rods, and $25 -$30 for the ends.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users