Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to tell if Steering Rack is worn??

How do you tell if your non-power steering rack is worn?? I remember Ed telling me he replaced his a couple of years ago on his Brat when the tire shop wouldn't align his front end. Any telltale signs/symtoms to look for?--thanks, Brian.

Well - there is backlash adjustment on the side of the rack for the rack and pinion gear clearance - you might check the adjustment on that, and you can replace the tie rods and ends.... after that, unless the gears are horribly worn (never seen that), then there really isn't much else to it..... I suppose you could have a really bad steering u-joint, or a torn rag joint in the linkage. Do a complete inspection I say.

Pull the boots back and check the play in the tie-rods, as those tend to get wonky after a while - especially if the boot is torn. The tie rod ends you should be able to inspect by getting under the car.

I don't know for sure, but maybe Ed was just saying he replaced the whole rack+tie rods+ends because a JY rack for $15 is cheaper than $100 in tie rods and ends???

GD