Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my daughter overheated the brat

Guest taprackready

Guest taprackready

The hose off the top of the water pump blew and she overheated the brat coming home. Put on new hose, filled up the rad with water and the car will start and I can drive it but its got at least one cylinder not working.

I guess I'll do a compression check and start there. Can the heads be removed in the car without much difficulty? I'm guessing they are warped and/or head gasket is blown.

So I'm looking at taking the heads off to get machined and put back on with new gaskets. Anything else?

Bill/1982 Brat GL

2 choices, which could prove to be tough:

A. Flog her and disown her

or

B. MAKE her learn about the engine that she destroyed. A "Father/daughter" project. She works on it with you until it's done. Teach her that girls need to know how to check oil and read guages too.

. Can the heads be removed in the car without much difficulty? I'm guessing they are warped and/or head gasket is blown.

Heads are quite easy to remove while engine is in car - Subaru thought about this, and there are little circular rubbler plugs on the framerails, take those out and getting things like the pushrods, Rocker bolts, etc is pretty easy...

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Yes, you should do a compression check first.

The heads can be removed without pulling the engine - no problem there at all.

Assuming compression is your problem, then you probably did blow a HG..... and just about every time you overheat them you'll warp the heads. If it's the original engine, and you will have the heads off anyway, you might consider a new set of 83+ heads with the larger intake valve's. You can get a set from Aluminium Head Rebuilders here in Portland for $75 each (so their web site claims). Having the heads machined and pressure tested will cost basically the same as a new set. And haveing the larger intake valve is good for another 7 odd horse power or so.

I really like the Fel-Pro head gaskets I've been using. I lost all my coolant from a blown hose, and they held just fine after overheating it terribly. Plus they are cheaper than the dealer - you can get em online for $14 each.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi General,

So I think I have got the same problem with my 88 gl wagon.

The car was reading very hot when it started chugging a bit. I slowed and cooled the temp down with the heater, but I had lost a cylinder.

I am thinking that it's a HG but I'm wondering: Can the HG be changed in the car? What should the compression be for good cylinders? Will the head require machineing for sure?

I have another engine that I just took out of my older Sub. The compression is in the 90's for all cylinders. Should I just use the engine from the other car?

THanks for any help you have to offer!

Mark

Yes, you should do a compression check first.

The heads can be removed without pulling the engine - no problem there at all.

Assuming compression is your problem, then you probably did blow a HG..... and just about every time you overheat them you'll warp the heads. If it's the original engine, and you will have the heads off anyway, you might consider a new set of 83+ heads with the larger intake valve's. You can get a set from Aluminium Head Rebuilders here in Portland for $75 each (so their web site claims). Having the heads machined and pressure tested will cost basically the same as a new set. And haveing the larger intake valve is good for another 7 odd horse power or so.

I really like the Fel-Pro head gaskets I've been using. I lost all my coolant from a blown hose, and they held just fine after overheating it terribly. Plus they are cheaper than the dealer - you can get em online for $14 each.

GD

Yes, the HG can be changed in the car, but on the OHC engines like yours, things are a bit different. The heads on the EA82's are more prone to cracking (in the exhaust port - between the valves is ok), so you should look for that, and of course check them with a metal straightedge for warpage.

Good compression is 150 or more for each cylinder... but it's more important that they be within 10% of each other.

90 sounds a little low, but if they are all at 90, then it may just be the way you tested it. Changeing an engine is usually easier and cheaper than a HG, but it depends on what type of engine you are going changing to (Carb, SPFI, Turbo, MPFI), and what the car was eqquipped with originally.

GD