Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was pulling out of an auto parts store in town yesterday and my car just stopped moving in the middle of the road. Embarassing to say the least. The engine ran fine and I tried to slip the clutch to get it going but had no luck for several minutes. Finally after dumping the clutch, I got it moving again. I'd released the emergency brake several times and that didn't help. The car had been pulling to the right for several weeks now. This is leading me to believe either a stuck piston in the caliper or a pinched brake line. When I got home, some smoke was coming from the right sight side front wheel. My question is, barring all of that, could the hill holder have malfunctioned? How do I de-activate that for test purposes? Car is a 94 Legacy 2WD.

Greg

OK, a little more info on my continuing problem. I've replaced the passengers side caliper and both front disks. Bled the system well. Still have the same problem but I did some more digging into the circumstances.

When the car is moving forward and I hit the brakes fairly hard (no matter what speed), the brakes lock and stay locked for about 30 seconds. They seem to unstick after that time. I appears to be all four wheels. If the car is moving forward and I hit the brakes softly, no problems.

I shut the car off and jacked up each wheel individually. I hit the brake and checked to see if any wheel was stuck. No problems. Only happens when the car is running, moving (forward or backwards) and the brakes are hit fairly hard.

Yes, my 94 DOES have a hill holder. It kicks in every time I'm at an incline. So, how do I deactivate this thing to check if that is causing the problem? Any other ideas?

Things I've done to this car in the last month:

Replaced engine with 76K mile junkyard motor (runs great!)

Replaced rear disks and pads

Replaced Front disks and right side caliper.

Replaced clutch and pressure plate.

OK, any help?

Greg

Greg55_99

I think you’re on the right track!

Replaced clutch and pressure plate.

Since you have replaced your clutch I would be looking at the adjustment for the hill holder

The adjustment is at the clutch fork for the throw out bearing (just below the throttle body)

First check the free play on the clutch and adjust it as necessary, should be 3-5mm play

Then adjust the Hill holder cable so that it disengages the hill holder just as the clutch engages

Just a question do the brakes bind up going down hill?

If they do it may be someting else , if they don't then look at the hill holder

Hope that helps

SEA#3

Problem resolved. I disconnected the cable from the hill holder to the grommet on the master cylinder. No more stuck brakes. Obviously, my clutch replacement job didn't include adjusting the hill holder cable. I don't need it, so I'll leave it alone. Thanks everyone that responded!

Greg