Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pic of oil leak and how did i miss it? need help please

ok guys im uping a few pic's of the oil leak i have.

at first i thought it was the oil pump or maybe the crankshaft or cam seals.

i rip it apart and i cant find where the oil is leaking.

it has light oil inside the T-belt cover but nothing like i thought it would be.

so i sit and scratch my back side for a while. hm lets crawl under the car again just for fun and take some pic's low and behold i find the oil leaking where the timeing cover meets the heads and valve covers.

how could i miss this i was under that car for 30 min taking the bolts off the cover and never saw it.

just to make shur im not out of my mind what do you guys think?

valve cover gaskets? or is the camshaft seals leaking some how out the back of the cover?

post-4174-136027595225_thumb.jpg

post-4174-136027595232_thumb.jpg

post-4174-136027595236_thumb.jpg

post-4174-136027595242_thumb.jpg

post-4174-136027595247_thumb.jpg

I know that I have the same oil leak, but I just did all my seals and belts. I read in another forum that the EA82 leaks a lot normally. I am just monitoring how much mine is leaking.

thanx for the reply.

the car is a 92 loyale with 57k miles. im just hoping i can stop buying things i dont need like the oil seal i got today. i almost got the cam seal but waited till i got the cover off. now im probly looking at cam seals or valve cover gaskets. i just want to be shur befor i get any more parts.

i realy hate to mess with the cam seals if they are not what is leaking.

with my luck ill mess up the seal putting it in and it will leak.

you need to pull the cam sprockets off to get a good look at the cam seals. If you dont do that you are still guessing. it does appear to be coming from the valve cover gasket but that could be wrong.

read in another forum that the EA82 leaks a lot normally.

I am on my third ea82 car and only one out of the three leaked. if you properly seal them they are just as good or better than many motors out there. you need to look back to the sealing methods of older cars to appreciate what this motor has. but the emphasis is on the methods and materials used.

Yeah - Subaru's have a reputation for leaking, but I've found that it's not really deserved. They don't leak badly until mechanics start putting in aftermarket seals and gaskets. A lot of them SUCK. I've had almost zero luck with any brand of gaskets besides Fel-Pro and the dealership. I bought some intake manifold gaskets online, and they started leaking coolant just a month after. When I pulled them out I was horrified at their appearance. It looked as if the coolant had actually disintegrated the gaskets. I also installed a cheap oil pan gasket. Not only is this a crappy job to have to do anyway, but the gasket leaked worse than the one I was replacing, and litereally fell apart when I tried to torque the bolts for the third time (kept loosening due to the gasket comming apart under the stress). The cork they used had zero protection from oil, and once it had soaked up the oil, the cork itself just came unglued and turned into a pile of cork-chips. Bad times. I could have saved myself a lot of effort and money just buying this stuff from the dealer in the first place. Actually - since my dealer gives me wholesale on all my parts, the oil pan gaskets are only $5.02 anyway. I think I may have actually paid MORE for the aftermarket crap that failed.

GD

Thanx for the info ill pull the cam sprockets off tomarow while im waiting for the T-belts to come in.

one other thing when i was removeing the crank pully i put it in 5th gear and had my wife stand on the breaks hard. as i was doing this the clutch slipped it was not easy to slip "i almost pulled the car off the ramps doing it and the breaker bar had a nice bend in it so i had a lot of presher on it" is this a problem that the clutch slipped? it feels strong when driveing, it spinns tires in the grass. im just wondering why it slipped is this normal when removeing the crank pully?

you need to pull the cam sprockets off to get a good look at the cam seals. If you dont do that you are still guessing. it does appear to be coming from the valve cover gasket but that could be wrong.

I am on my third ea82 car and only one out of the three leaked. if you properly seal them they are just as good or better than many motors out there. you need to look back to the sealing methods of older cars to appreciate what this motor has. but the emphasis is on the methods and materials used.

post-4174-136027595252_thumb.jpg

now thats a good idea rope in the cylinder.

what i ended up doing is taking a cheap long screw driver that fit in the hole and bend "90 degres" so it to fit in the holes on fly wheel and jam it in then put some vice grips to hold it in place, and put it in gear and held the break. i was not pulling the starter off i just could not find the bolts to take it off i was tired and its like 100 degrees here.

Next time: pull spark plug, fill cylinder with nylon rope (on compression stroke).

GD