Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello out there I am now the owner of my first Subaru. Just bought a 1996 legacy outback. I Sold my Toyota fj40 I've been driving for 7 years so I could put my family in the car but mainly to save on gas. Filling up 3+ times a week was killing me. OK my first troubles. My wipers which have the delay on them and the rear wiper control also on the stick are only working on high. Ocasionally they will work but now not so often. Is this a switch thing or is there a separate controler for the delays?

I also looked for the factory manuals for this car and they want like $400 for them. This is tough on me because I am a mechanic but I live by my tear down manuals and most of the time the Haynes and Chiltons manuals are to generic. Any help would be apreciated.

I'm not quite sure what sets the delay, but I believe it's a bimetallic strip that breaks contact and reconnects. It sounds like this unit is having issues. Where it is or what it looks like....I don't know.

As for manuals I'd suggest checking out http://techinfo.subaru.com

You can d/l pretty much all the manuals in pdf. You can get a time limited membership for like 30 bucks or something. I'm not sure. If you have high speed access, just suck everything down. If you want hard copies, put everything on a cd and have kinkos or someone print and bind everything.

You can also get a CD version of the manual on Ebay for around $20 or less. I was able to get a set of manuals for my '01 LL Bean Outback on Ebay for around $200. They were slightly used but still in excellent shape.

You may be able to solve the wiper problem by cleaning the delay switch contacts with some contact cleaner. If that doesn't work I would check to make sure that the delay voltage changes as the control moves to prove out the control. If that is ok then I would look to the circuit delay box as the problem. The delay circuit is a RC electronic type I believe. The delay control changes the resistance portion of the circuit. I have never had to work on one before so I can't say this for sure.