Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Banjo Fitting Crack XT Turbo Oil Supply Line

Hi,

I have a 85 XT Tubo 4WD with a JDM replacment engine. The XT isn't pretty, but it still runs sweet. Yesterday, the engine started to pee oil FAST. Luckily, I was near the house. Oil was everywear. I cleaned the engine and compartment to try and trace the oil leak. It was coming from under the turbo cooling sheild. I found it at the oil supply line fitting on top of the Turbo bearing. It appears the metal tubing, where it is brazed into the banjo fitting on the turbo bearing has cracked at the brazed joint. The oil appears to come out of a "slit" about 16th of an inch just wear the tubing enters the banjo fitting.

My question: Should I try and re-braze the fitting? Should I just try and order a new bent-to-shape oil line from the dealer (if they are still available)? Should I take the oil line (all metal, with banjos on each end) and get a shop to make me up one? Can I use a straight one and bend it to shape (I have a good tubing bender)? Should I even consider a reinforced rubber generic hose?

I'd like to do this tonight or tomorrow, so any quick help would be benificial. I'm going to call the dealer as soon as I sign off here.

Stuart

85 XT Turbo 4WD

I have sucessfully brazed them on my cousins volvo before. if not the dealership or wrecking yard is the best bet unless you can fab up a quality braided stainless line. I wold not mess with regular rubber hose. remember this goes to the turbo. lots of heat. good luck