Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this dealer service pulling my leg or what?

OK, so our '04 Forester X 5-speed, which has been pretty much trouble free except for the airbag warning light going on (harness replaced), trips it's check engine light. It's got just under 30K.

I've been working a lot lately, so I don't pull the code, but I did at least check the gas cap. My wife takes it in for service (it's her daily driver).

The dealer service record indicates: "Valves adjusted too tight, misfire 1-2 cyl B243-008, ABW-88 warr=.6 adjusted l/s bank valves to specs. Please advise customer to purchase gas at another station as the fuel sample showed a small amount of contamination."

Now, there are *no* tool marks anywhere on any bolt that I can see under the hood. I'm thinking it can't be *that* simple to adjust the valves on this engine! I would believe the bad gas theory, it wouldn't be the first time it's happened to me.

I don't want to slam the dealer - hey, if the CEL tripped because of poor gas and they want to charge Subaru for a bit of warrantee time, so be it. But this thing about adjusting the valves - could this be some type of valve I'm unaware of? Or is adjusting the valves on this car quite that simple? Or is this pure, unadulterated, meadowmuffin material?:rolleyes:

Anyone have thoughts on this?