Ultimate Subaru Message Board

totally frustrated!!!

Please HELP, before I shoot her!

I have an 85 subaru gl with A/c, 5 spd E-82 2bbl carb, it has this stalling problem that has just gooten worse, starts up right away, hot or cold, runs fine...for a minute or so...then dies out , quick, like it ran out of gas, fires back up, get on the gas, got good rpm, dies out again, this goes on and on even if I push it til its completely warmed up...I have rebui9lt the carb, ran good for a day, then, same ol situation...when digging deper into the engine compartment, I found what are I think "duty control silonoids"? there is like 3 or 4 of them with each having 2 wires coming off of them, 3 have broken hose barbs, where the vacuum line hooks on...could this be the cause, if so, what is the best way to fix OR REPLACE? Can the car be re-configured to run without them? AN Y ADVICE???? Thanks, hope its not hopeless, but getting very impatient.

Tim

vacuum leaks are bad, but it sounds like you have a fuel filter clog...

theres one by the fuel pump, by the right rear wheel...

and theres a vapor seperator up by the windshield wiper motor..

shouldnt be more than six bux each, but as a test you could put a piece of

metal tubing in place, to see if that fixes it

Hey Tim This is Jerry, it sounds like your fuel pump relay. It should be a black box about 2x3 inches and 1 inch thick with 5 or 6 wires comming out of it. That small box is on the left inside of your car by the hood release cable. My brat do that had to hot wire it or bypass the box. Thanks Jerry

You can go ahead and try everyones ideas, but the first thing I would do is loosen the gas cap and see if the problem continues. If not, its obvious...you need a new gas cap. I actually bought a 85 GL wagon with this problem. Got it for $10, and sold it for $300. If the problem is still there, replace the fuel filter and check the relay.

That "black box" in not a relay. It's a Fuel Pump Control Unit. It's not wise to bypass it unless you know what you are doing. It's job is to make sure the fuel pump loses power in an accident. It's wired to an RPM sensor, and it also controls the power to your choke.... this is all assuming you have one, which I'm not totally sure about - you have an EA82, and they are different than EA81's by a good degree. However - I do think checking the voltage to the fuel pump is a good idea. NOTE, however that this can be misleading because when the engine dies (for whatever reason), the fuel pump power will be cut by the revolution sensor. When you test, you are looking for a condition where the pump will run while you are cranking, but not when the key is in the run position and the engine IS running. If the pump cuts out and the engine dies a minute or so later, you have found a potential problem. The pump will always stop when the engine stops tho.

Fix vacuum leaks, check your fuel system (cap, filters, etc), and check to see that you have power to the fuel pump. You have a fuel delivery issue I would say, and a complete run-down of the system is in order.

GD

If you want to check to see if the FP is working, just drop the panel under the steering column and connect the 2 wires with the green plugs. This will put the car in test mode and will run the FP continuous when the key is on, you should be able to hear the pump running from the back.

thanx, I changed the fuel filter, no difference, but have not checked out the seperator, I'll give that a shot....Peace.

vacuum leaks are bad, but it sounds like you have a fuel filter clog...

theres one by the fuel pump, by the right rear wheel...

and theres a vapor seperator up by the windshield wiper motor..

shouldnt be more than six bux each, but as a test you could put a piece of

metal tubing in place, to see if that fixes it

havnt checked out this yet, but did notice my gas cap is missing, could this be the cause? also what about the 4 air silinoid valves with broken vac line nippels, do these need to be replaced? how important are they, or are they a possible cause? will check the seperator and black box, shouldnt I have some kind of lite on the computer below dash ? I dont have any lite at all, flashing or not in the computer control unit.

That "black box" in not a relay. It's a Fuel Pump Control Unit. It's not wise to bypass it unless you know what you are doing. It's job is to make sure the fuel pump loses power in an accident. It's wired to an RPM sensor, and it also controls the power to your choke.... this is all assuming you have one, which I'm not totally sure about - you have an EA82, and they are different than EA81's by a good degree. However - I do think checking the voltage to the fuel pump is a good idea. NOTE, however that this can be misleading because when the engine dies (for whatever reason), the fuel pump power will be cut by the revolution sensor. When you test, you are looking for a condition where the pump will run while you are cranking, but not when the key is in the run position and the engine IS running. If the pump cuts out and the engine dies a minute or so later, you have found a potential problem. The pump will always stop when the engine stops tho.

Fix vacuum leaks, check your fuel system (cap, filters, etc), and check to see that you have power to the fuel pump. You have a fuel delivery issue I would say, and a complete run-down of the system is in order.

GD

I think you need to connect the wires for troubleshooting first to get a code sequence.

Your problem with the engine dieing may be due to a problem in the ECU or, the fuel control unit is not seeing the signal from the CAS indicating the engine is running so it shuts the pump off. This is a safety issue. To verify this, place the probes of a voltmeter across the fuel pump power wires. If the power goes away and the engine dies then you will know. Also check for any codes in the ECU following this.

My '88 wagon had a problem somewhat like this but once it died it would not run at all. I later found out a driver transistor had failed in the ECU that controls the the fuel pump ground connection.