Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Turbo in 1600 AWD Hatch?

Hey all, I've got a (I think :drunk: ) unique project in the works, which can be seen here http://http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/663057. It's probably best to see that site first before reading further, because most of this is jibberish without the pics and other info. I have access to FREE old beat Subaru's. I have many many questions about the project.

Ok, number one: The red '87 1600 Hatch: it won't start. It had water in the engine (rain I reckon) so I took the plugs out and turned the motor by hand and with the starter. Now the plugs are back in and the starter turns the motor fine. The plugs are fine; but the engine won't actually fire and run. I was told the carb needs to be "primed"? I need to pour a little ether and gas into the carb then try to start it? :dead:

Number two question is for further down the road. I've got two different manual transmissions to choose from for my project; actually, maybe even 3. The '86 XT Turbo has a 5-speed manual tranny, the '80ish 1600 Hatch has a 4-speed manual with selectable FWD/AWD hi/AWD lo and the '87 1600 Hatch has a 4-speed manual. The first and last cars are FWD. Are the two 4-speed manuals the same? The last car listed is FWD, so there's no need for the selectable FWD/AWD lever.

The question is: which should I use? I mean, what's the difference between the 5-spd MT and the 4-spd MT? They both have AWD capabilities, right?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

1st of all, none of the transmissions you are talking about are AWD or AWD capable. The sticker by the 4wd selector or the logos on the cars will say 4WD if you look carefully.

Of all the manual transmissions in the '80s subarus, you can split them up into 2 groups: Selectable 4wd transmissions, and Full-time 4wd transmissions. Turbo 4wd cars are usually full-time 4wd transmissions, which allow you to run 4wd on pavement. Selectable 4wd transmissions run in FWD until you put them into 4wd, and cant be run in 4wd on pavement. The type of transmission you want for your car depends on your use for it. If it's primarily a street car then the full-time 4wd transmissions would be the best choices. If it's an off-road rig then the selectable 4wd transmissions are ideal.

So you have access to 3 transmissions:

The FWD 5 spd from an XT turbo. This can be made to fit, but the transmission uses different spline counts on the axle stubs, so you will have to put together some axles with the ea81 (hatch) outer components and the inner joints from the XT axles. Not sure what gear ratio this transmission is, but probably 3.7:1 which will give you less low end power and better highway gearing. If you use this tranny you are stuck with FWD. No 4wd or Awd for you.

A 4spd selectable 4wd Dual Range tranny. This one is the best choice for off-road use. The low range and 3.9:1 diff ratios give you the best gearing for off-road and low end power. Plus you've got 4wd :brow:. Of course this would also require the swapping in of 4wd rear suspension and differential if your car is originally FWD. This 4wd conversion has been covered before so do a search.

The 4spd FWD tranny is just generally lame. No 4wd, no 5th gear for the highway. But it's the easiest to put in your hatch because that's what came with it.

ok I was actually stuck on that fwd vs 4wd splines bit, wasn't quite sure.

You're planning on swapping in a multi point fuel injected turbo motor, so you've got to swap the entire FI harness and computer. Do as little cutting of the harness as you can and try to swap it all in as one piece.

I am going to swap the 4wd tranny and drive train from the silver '80 Hatch to the red FWD '87 Hatch. Then I'm goint to swap the 1.6L for the 1.8L Turbo from the XT. How does that sound?

As for the fuel systems being different, I've opted to use a fuel cell mounted in place of the rear seat with a higher output fuel pump. I know the ECU and harness have to swap, too. I'm really looking forward to that mess.:rolleyes:

everybody says just get a megasquirt, but... where are they all?

i wouldnt use a fuel cell, just put a high flow in place of the stock pump, and replace the 2 feet of low pressure hose, to high pressure efi hose. and use the same return line. you only have 10 gallons, of fuel any way, and thats about what a fuel cell that fits would hold. its lower center of gravity in the fuel tank too.

and you dont need the whole harness, that woudnt all fit in a hatch =]

just get the part that goes from the motor to the computer, in the trunk, and use that part. its just a matter of putting power to a few wires, and hooking up the fuel pump relay, and 1 wire to the distributor

its actually pretty easy conversion, in hind sight =/

and i guess you'll need either a sawsall, or a crossmember, made for an ea81 with a turbo. thats just for the exhaust to fit.