Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Machine Shop/ Steering Extension Q

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Svengouli7

Svengouli7

Smile, taste kittens

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Bentucky Wa.

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

Just got done a little bit ago welding a steering extension. I did the best I could (flux core wire fed, I preheated w/mapp hoping to get more penetration) But this being the peice I really fear failure in, was wondering if a machine shop would be willing to put to 1/8" or so hole through my sleeve& shaft assembly so I could put some roll pins in for an added failsafe.

I do have a newly acquired drill press too, but I am thinking the oem shaft is pretty damn hard...

I'd call a shop but I will have to wait to monday, and am curious.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:49 PM

Just drill and tap the sleeve for some of those little black set screws, and grind a flat spot on the shaft for them. They have sharp ridges, and will dig into the shaft when you tighten them down with a hex key....

I saw em at Napa last time I was there....

GD

#3 Svengouli7

Svengouli7

Smile, taste kittens

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Bentucky Wa.

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:58 PM

Wish I had thunk of them before I spooged weld all over.

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:35 AM

Sorry, but a little ole set screw isnt going to hold that steering shaft. Remember what happened to me last year at Rieter Pit? Due to my (ahem) lack of welding experience, that same piece broke on me after hitting a log at an angle. I was stuck there for 3hrs waiting for Austin to bring me another shaft extension. You should be able to remove the piece from the joint and bottom flange and take it to someone that can weld it (right).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users