Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Machine Shop/ Steering Extension Q

Just got done a little bit ago welding a steering extension. I did the best I could (flux core wire fed, I preheated w/mapp hoping to get more penetration) But this being the peice I really fear failure in, was wondering if a machine shop would be willing to put to 1/8" or so hole through my sleeve& shaft assembly so I could put some roll pins in for an added failsafe.

I do have a newly acquired drill press too, but I am thinking the oem shaft is pretty damn hard...

I'd call a shop but I will have to wait to monday, and am curious.

Sorry, but a little ole set screw isnt going to hold that steering shaft. Remember what happened to me last year at Rieter Pit? Due to my (ahem) lack of welding experience, that same piece broke on me after hitting a log at an angle. I was stuck there for 3hrs waiting for Austin to bring me another shaft extension. You should be able to remove the piece from the joint and bottom flange and take it to someone that can weld it (right).