Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 DL wagon questions

Is this a possible replacement for my daughter's tired '87 wagon?

A 1988 DL 5-speed wagon with push-button 4WD, but not dual range. 155K miles, owner claims it has been regularly maintained, body is straight, it has new Goodyear M&S tires, new front wheel bearings, new plugs, rotor & cap, and tuneup. He claims he's never been off paved roads with it, and that the 4WD has only been used for trips in snow.

I assume it's a Califonia vehicle, so should not have major rust problems. I have not seen it yet, will see it tomorrow (Sunday).

Does this sound OK, and what else should I look for or ask about? Also, what's a fair price to pay?

Thanks again,

Ray McDonald

fud2468@att.net

well check underneith the car around rocker panels, underneith all 4 doors for rust, check any major oil leaks , but subaru's like mine leak alittle oil, but remember that after you buy it that the timing belts might have to be changed along with the water pump and seals , check drive axles inner outer boots , drive it and see how hot the radiator gets, check ac, heater , look at all records, well being automatic they can go bad and at 155,000mi , bepending on price

Check the oil and the underside of the oil cap, fill the radiator, run it w/out the cap on and look for bubbles in the coolant, check for any unusual clunking/humming on the highway and when turning, especially from the rear. Check the CV boots like 86subaru said. Drive it a little on the hard side at first to see if the clutch slips (at 155K it's only got about another 20 to 30K left, of gentle driving, if it's original), and watch out for ticking or anything that looks like Marvel or tranny fluid in the oil tank. A fair price is no more than $600, and then only if it has working air. That's for something immaculate, in my opinion.