Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

96 Outback pwr door locks

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Here is a PDF of the door lock system, it's not very complicated. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it....

Matt

Attached Files

#27 Sweden

Sweden

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Lund, Sweden

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

Thanks-a-million for the advice and diagram Cougar & BigMattyD. I spent the day with changing brake pads and other things to get the car ready for its annual inspection coming up, so it will need to wait a few more days for time to dig back into the door. I did notice though that the 'ghost' came back while test driving the car today--meaning that the locks locked by themselves while driving.

Sweden

#28 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

I would guess that the lock switch is causing that to happen.

#29 JStamberg

JStamberg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cedar Falls

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

Once again, kudos to the guys of this board who take the time to not only figure things out, but share the knowledge with others. I had been getting progressively frustrated (as my locks got progressively less responsive) with my 96 Legacy.

This fix took me less than a couple hours to do, and NO new parts (other than a small bit of JB weld).

I did it a couple of weeks ago... the automatic unlock hasn't missed once since!

Thanks!:clap:

#30 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

Once again, kudos to the guys of this board who take the time to not only figure things out, but share the knowledge with others. I had been getting progressively frustrated (as my locks got progressively less responsive) with my 96 Legacy.

This fix took me less than a couple hours to do, and NO new parts (other than a small bit of JB weld).

I did it a couple of weeks ago... the automatic unlock hasn't missed once since!

Thanks!:clap:

You are welcome, my jb weld jerry rig held for years until the car was totalled.

#31 Sweden

Sweden

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Lund, Sweden

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

I actually fixed my problem a while back. I took the door apart but everything seemed to work well. I ended up digging a bit further (beyond the door) only to find that the wiring harness to all the electronical items in the door was in really bad shape. It was the one below the fuse box. Apparently there was some Minnesota salt water leakage there for a few years that took its toll on the wires in the harness. I bypassed the wires around the harness and everytrhing is peachy with the locks again!

Sweden

#32 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,735 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

Okay the link to this "fix" is dead, so does anyone know more about this?

#33 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

That was my post, sorry I don't have that web site up anymore.

#34 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,735 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Crack, okay well do you have any further info or pictures? I'm not even sure what this is all about - it seems like it's not about the actual lock switch (meaning the drivers master inside switch that toggles back and forth), but something else inside the door?

#35 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

Yes it is actually the part on the inside of the door on the striker mechanism.
If you take off the door panel and then the door striker you will see it on there.

I will try to find the pictures I took a few years back, if I didn't delete them.

#36 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

Deleted.

#37 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,735 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

I have a parts car, if it's clean and no dents I might just swap doors. I have to paint the hood and fender anyway due to Mr. Deer (2 in one week :rolleyes:).

If the parts car door is clean, straight, and no dents I might use it.

#38 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,695 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

crap i just paid for a door lock timer on ebay for my legacy and might not need it?

Mine is odd.. I noticed if the doors wont lock after pressing the drivers side door lock if i slam the glove box shut the doors will lock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users