Ultimate Subaru Message Board

idle problems again :( sorry...

hello there everyone! i have some questions on a project i aquired recently..

a 91 legacy in a world of hurt!...

pcv hoses were all over the place, nearly got them sorted.. im gradually reconnecting the coolant hoses.. where does the one that seems to come off the side of the throttle body go?.. havent got any engine bay pictures to reference to unfortunately:(...

now then, theres no water in the cooling system.. but i need to see if it will run.. so after some fiddling with the wiring and replacement of connectors.. all is looking good.. turn it over... it starts!:)...

wont idle though!.. goes up 'n' down between, say, 400 and 1100 rpm about 3 times getting everso slightly smoother.. and then cuts out...

if you hold your foot on the gas itll keep going and seem to run o.k... but will die as soon as you let your foot off...

and no im not going to run it more than a few seconds because of the no water situation!:)

after reading a few threads on here.. is the IAC my problem?.. run some injector cleaner through the fuel system?.. or is the computer shutting it down cos theres no water in the system?...

where is the IAC?! what do i do to clean it?..

you seem like knowledgeable guys..

help!:)

thanks for the replies..

so the big hose with the clips on goes to the iac valve.. the other end is connected to the air inlet duct i presume?!... the tiny hose is the coolant one to the throttlebody yes!?...

MAF is plugged in:)

BTW before i try to clean the iac.. is this diagram correct?..

http://www.rb5286.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Technical/Idle%20Air%20Control%20(IAC)%20Valve%20.htm

once ive cleaned it i need to disconnect the ecu for a period of time to reset it, yes?!

Correct, the large air hose (i think its 19mm ID) connects from the air inlet to the IAC valve. it's a straight piece, it also has a clip that holds the pcv tube coming fdrom the pass side head to the hose. And yes one of the coolant lines goes to the TB. The otherone goes to like the water manifold or the block or something. The picture isnt correct, no.

update!...

cleaned the MAF sensor and IAC valve...

upon startup it doesnt "bounce" the revs anywhere near as much.. which is nice!:).. however it stil cuts off dead after about 5 seconds...

i noticed that the 19mm?!.. tube that connects directly to the IAC valve is not hooked up to anything.. its just sucking in air.. could this be the problem that stops the engine idling?!... it should be connected to the air intake, downstream of the MAF sensor yes?!...

thanks for all your help so far..:)

When your doing little tests and stuff like this what ive found helps is you really need to plug loose vac holes with like a screw or somethin if you dont know right where they hook up... this way you wont have so many vac leaks. Of course the best is just to find where they go :brow:

found where the hose went... got it reconnected... undid the battery terminal to reset the ecu... fiddled with some other bits and bobs for 30 mins.. connected it all back up... it starts and idles real good now!...

much better..thanks for your help everyone..

:)