Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will the computer out of a 92 automatic legacy be happy when it is transplanted (w/ engine) into a manual loyale? does it need input from the auto tranny to function properly?

I belive you will need a computer from the manual. The computer will not like not getting signals from the auto tranny.

By the way, the auto has a TCU of its own and that really screw it up. Don't think you can mix it. In the auto, there is the ECU and there is the TCU. Both work together. If you mix the ECU to manual, which doesn't have the TCU at all, don't think it will work at all. But again, I could be mistaken as I'm not expert.

Acutally.....you lucked out.

92 was the only year the ECU was the same in both AT & MT cars. The ECU has an AT/MT identifier pin on it. Apply the appropriate signal +5v or 0v and that's how the ECU determines whether the engine has an AT or MT and adjusts the tuning accordingly.

You can find the ECU I/O info in the fsm scans folder. If you need any other suggestions or help, let me know.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans