Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stupid question:

So, I feel prety silly asking this, I've had my subie for nearly a year now and know I managed to figure it on my own before, but it's got me stumped at the moment. How do you release the lower half of the rear seats so they flip up?

muchas dankes!

-Karl

In the center of the bench seat, down low, there is a loop for your fingers. Might be tucked up uncder the bench where the carpet meets the bench. Dig it out of there and tug. This is actually a small latch you are pulling on and allows it to flip up.

Not a stupid question; I didnt know mine even flipped up the firest 3 years I owned it :)

right on! I've got a long distance trip coming up wherein Kate will be full to the gills with gear, and I wanted to look into removing the lower halves of the seats to make a little more room down under there. And thought that maybe with the bottom tof the seat flipped up maybe the crago compartment laid flat, for easier loading and more overall space.

thanks again!

-Dok

Gee, on my 85 wagon there is no release, there is just a strap that I pull that back of the seat up and forward.

Isnt that strap attached to a metal clip?

Wouldnt want that rear bench to turn into an Automatic Emergancy Ejection Bench :)

Gee, on my 85 wagon there is no release, there is just a strap that I pull that back of the seat up and forward.

Look closer; doesnt the strap attach to a metal latch? Otherwise the bench would flip up when you slammed the brakes or got in an accident. Wouldnt want it to be a catapult in an emergancy :)

That rear fold up seat is one of my fav. features on the wagons - the uses for that back area are innumerable. ive fit 2 full-size bikes (with tires on) inside it, a twin size mattress, campaign signs, and muchos cosas de varioso (i dont think that last one's a word) in it. Perfect for camping trips w/ 1 friend or a pet (dogs, not cats. they smell and piss all over the place. and they suck.)

Gee, good thing he is asking about his 87 and not your 85. There sure as heck is a release on an 87.

and on my '85, though bent and non-functional, it's all there, and probably could be fixed, if I cared, but the seats are almost always folded down anyway, so whatever

-Chux

and on my '85, though bent and non-functional, it's all there, and probably could be fixed, if I cared, but the seats are almost always folded down anyway, so whatever

-Chux

I just removed my bench and hardware along with the back rests. You could have my bench and hardware for free if you wanted. The only NON rusty thing on my car! LOL Its all in good working order.

Or you could just do what I did and rip all that junk out :brow:

I just removed my bench and hardware along with the back rests. You could have my bench and hardware for free if you wanted. The only NON rusty thing on my car! LOL Its all in good working order.

Or you could just do what I did and rip all that junk out :brow:

thanks man, but that just doesn't make much sense, I only fold the seat down if I'm taking a bunch of people somewhere (usually to places they can't or won't go in their own cars :grin: ) in which case it stays down pretty well.

thanks

-Chux