Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trace the hot (red or not solid black) wire to the starter (solid black is usually the ground return). Make sure trans in in P or N if auto. If manual you'll have to depress clutch. Use a thick wire to connect 12v on the batter to the terminal on starter to which that hot wire is attached.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this, but it makes sense thinking about it.

Stupid question from me... even if you could do this, wouldn't the steering wheel be locked so as to make the car undriveable? Or am I missing something here? Seems like you would have to violently slam the wheel back and forth to break the locking mechanism and allow you to steer. Just a thought I had.

My wife and I occasionally swap cars, we each have the two different Subie keys on our keychains, so even if we accidentally swapped keys we'd be o.k. Just a suggestion. (Oh and I have a spare in my wallet or sometimes wired under the car... saved my hide more than once). I'd avoid the magnetic box key keeper things... I've found them on the side of the road a few times.

Steve

edit: LOL Glen beat me to it re: the wheel lock.