Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, start in the engine room. The filter box needs to be removed. My 1990 model had four screws/bolts securing it yours may be different. Along with a "jubilee clip" that held the engine side of the intake pipe/hose onto the filter box. Careful, try not to bump/shock the MAF.

The resonator/snorkus has a short pipe that intrudes into the filter box, this is just pressed in through a flexible rubber seal, and a bit of juggling will allow you to lift the filter box out.

Once out, you have clear access to the top bolt that secures the snorkus. Unscrew this.

Next up, get underneath the car and undo the plastic pop-rivets that secure the plastic shielding inside the fender, you don't need to remove it completely, but the front has to be able to drop down.

From this angle you should be able to see the second the bolt that is still holding the snorkus in place. Undo it.

Again, a bit of juggling and you will be able to get the snorkus down and out.

From here, I did the following, after a lot of experiments, and found this to produce the best throttle response and induction noise - or melody if you prefer!

The top part of the snorkus, the pipe that runs from the filter box, into the fender and makes a turn downward, needs to be cut off. Include roughly a four inch drop after the bend, meaning that you hacksaw the pipe off an inch or so above the big black box of the snorkus. You must attach a suitably sized intake-trumpet/velocity-stack to the end of the pipe to avoid turbulence. The turbulence will ruin the noise and throttle response.

Screw the shortened peice of pipe back into the car and attach the filter box again. Make sure you get all the bolts secured.

Seen from below, my install looked like this:

http://www.geocities.com/vik2r/Sube/intake2.jpg

At this height the intake opening is in no danger of ingesting water during normal on-road driving - I once drove mine through wheel-hub-high water and had no problems.

Good luck, and try to keep the knuckle grazing to a minimum :-)