Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Occasionally my outback won't go into drive

I have a 2000 outback with an automatic transmission. Over the last 2 months, my car has hesitated going into drive. (Reverse works fine). The RPMs will jump up to 1500-2000 and then back down before engaging. A couple of times a week it simple will NOT go into drive. I have to spend 20-30 minutes turning the car on/off, putting into reverse etc... before it eventually jumps into drive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? More importantly, do you have any advice on how to address the problem? I could really use some help on this one. Thanks

Well, my tranny in my 1992 Legacy WAS slipping also, not as bad as yours, but now it doesn't. I drained the tranny fluid, added Lucas Transmission Stop Slip (autozone, $7) and then used a synthetic blend of ATF fluid. It fixed my problem and cost less than $20 and less than an hour of my time.Hope that helps. Check your ATF fluid level, you may have too much or too little.

Take care....

cgcrunner

If the fluid level is OK. Then it is probably the Forward clutch pack seals in your tranny that have worn out, which causes the intermittent NO DRIVE situation

Meaning --tranny overhaul

Does your car still have warranty? If so off to the dealer

SEA#3

Thanks for the feedback. I recently had the transmission flushed so i'm assuming that the fluid levels are fine. Unfortunately its not under warranty.

cgcrunner

If the fluid level is OK. Then it is probably the Forward clutch pack seals in your tranny that have worn out, which causes the intermittent NO DRIVE situation

Meaning --tranny overhaul

Does your car still have warranty? If so off to the dealer

SEA#3

I would say this, had the same problem with my 99 Forester. The solution is NOT a transmission flush alone. There is an external screw on paper media filter(like a motor oil one) on the drivers side of the transmission that needs to be changed. I took mine in for the antifreeze recall and had them flush the trans, as I was experiencing a few seconds lag in it engaging drive. It was just over 30K at the time and due. They flushed it and it was the same afterward. I then did some research and found out about this filter. I changed it and have no issues since. If you get a flush make SURE they change this filter, the flush won't touch it.