Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to tell it's an RX?

Did they make 4-door RX's and does it need to say Rx to be an Rx? silly question I know but I honestly don't know. Heres why I ask, an individual wants to donate a 86 4-door, after looking at it, I see that it's a turbo 4WD 5spd D/R. I know thats not the indicator of an RX, but heres what I also notice, there used to be a spoiler on deck lid, the interior is that black and white checker(well it's not really symetrical but it looks similar)board insert on the seats, also got power everthing and sunroof, H-alloys and the little spoiler deely bob things at the front corner of rear wheel wells, and on the edge of rear door. Soooo.... do those things make it an RX?

I have a friend who has an 85 RX.There were no markings anywhere on the car and at the time had no idea if it was an RX or a 4 door turbo so I posted the VIN and Dr.RX told me that it was.So I would say post the VIN and see if he can identify it for you.Imho it sounds like an RX to me,but what do I know?Dave.

So do you think that this car may have an LSD?, its got a D/R spd, the rear is sunk down in the weeds so I haven't been able to look. That would mean a 5spd d/r tranny with 3.7 gearing, is this a possibility? :-\

So, if it is a RX, then it has a LSD rear diff (unless someone replaced it) and the tranny will have a 3.70 ratio.

SWEEET THEN I'M LOOKIN FOR 56B!!! Sooooo just to tease my brain.The motor is tore down on this thing and could be put together. Now if I get this thing the body will probably go to the school for training so forget the idea of puttin the RX back into a car(thats if its an RX). HERES AN IDEA OR TWO!!! Can the complete drive train from front to rear be a compatible swap in my brat? or if motor bad (hope not it's a TURBO)Could tranny back to rear diff including rear disk work as well? I think this is a win win situation no matter how you put it together! What do you think? Turbo 5 spd D/R 3.7 lsd BRAT :headbang::brow:

SWEEET THEN I'M LOOKIN FOR 56B!!! Sooooo just to tease my brain.The motor is tore down on this thing and could be put together. Now if I get this thing the body will probably go to the school for training so forget the idea of puttin the RX back into a car(thats if its an RX). HERES AN IDEA OR TWO!!! Can the complete drive train from front to rear be a compatible swap in my brat? or if motor bad (hope not it's a TURBO)Could tranny back to rear diff including rear disk work as well? I think this is a win win situation no matter how you put it together! What do you think? Turbo 5 spd D/R 3.7 lsd BRAT :headbang::brow:

You'll probably need new axles too since the turbo 3.70 tranny has 25 spline stub axles, the N/A 3.90 tranny has 23 spline stub axles. Most people that I have helped put 5 D/R trannies in BRATs use a N/A tranny and we convert a 3.90 open to a LSD.

the spline your talking about is the end on hubside or tranny side? I guess thats why you say different tranny? then use LSD inners to convert regular diff to LSD diff? final result is a 5spd d/r set up with 3.9 ratio and a 3.9 lsd at the rear with rear disk conversion? The idea being that 3.9 is the preferred crawl gear set up?

another kind of related question? this donor is a 4-door, what drive shaft is gonna work. I know the wagon d/r set up works in a brat with a hanger bearing mod, is 4-door same wheel base allowing for same mod or is there custom driveshaft length issues, and on to the one question I haven't asked if motor in donor (ea82t) is good what are the swap scenarios, 5spd d/r going in no matter what works I've got three of them.

the spline your talking about is the end on hubside or tranny side? I guess thats why you say different tranny? then use LSD inners to convert regular diff to LSD diff? final result is a 5spd d/r set up with 3.9 ratio and a 3.9 lsd at the rear with rear disk conversion? The idea being that 3.9 is the preferred crawl gear set up?
Quick answers, tranny side, yep, yep, yep, and yep.

another kind of related question? this donor is a 4-door, what drive shaft is gonna work. I know the wagon d/r set up works in a brat with a hanger bearing mod, is 4-door same wheel base allowing for same mod or is there custom driveshaft length issues, and on to the one question I haven't asked if motor in donor (ea82t) is good what are the swap scenarios, 5spd d/r going in no matter what works I've got three of them.

Not totally sure here, I know that some have had one piece driveline made, other have used the two piece. With the two piece you'll need to attach the center hanger bearing to the undercarage. All EA82s have the same wheel base and use the same drivelines (match to the same type of tranny). I believe that the EA81 based BRATs are close enough to use the drivelines out of the EA82s except for the hanger bearing mod.

tried your vin site Dr.RX and it wouldn't come up on my computor. It's not a 56b but I'd be curios to see what it is condidered, so here it is

JF2AC75B8FE243700 Check it out please. and I looked under at the diff, no LSD :( But it is a 3.7. What is the difficulty level of headgasket job on ea82t? The motor is tore down a bit, manifold off one valvecover off, and some misc. stuff, I was curios if it's worth doing?