Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a salvage yard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ptrbilt

ptrbilt

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Somerset

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:13 AM

OK I've so far determined that the viscous coupler is caising the torque binding, it is a sealed unit that can't be serviced and is a dealer only part. Called the local salvage yards and none have a subaru in the yard.

I need some places to get this part. Also does it have a different name? None of the internet search sites have a "viscous coupler" on the drop down list.

Any suggestions of where to look are greatly appreciated. For the time being I have the rear drive shaft removed but I'd like to get this fixed before winter.

BTW its a 96 Legacy Outback 2.2L

Peter

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:25 AM

www.car-part.com

#3 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:32 PM

Somerset? Pennsylvania????

If so, get a message to Steve "Trogdor" he is familiar with the yards of western PA.

#4 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

Biggest Subaru Salvage yard............

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

#5 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

I am from Slippery Rock, PA and there is a big forign junkyard in Harmony, PA. hey have a bunch of Legacys and Imprezas from the Mid to late 90s. Lemme know what you are looking for and I can stop out and let you know what they have, get a price, etc.

#6 swi66

swi66

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Gasport NY

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:08 PM

Vince's Auto Wrecking in Lockport NY.
I do not have the phone number, may be able to find on line.
He ships everywhere as far as I know.
Bought a bunch for my Subaru including a replacement motor with only 88 miles on it. He gets cars which have been used for crash testing.
Bought front spindles and complete caliper and rotor setups from him,
He was also able to get me a used rack for a "right hand drive" Subaru seeing as I have a "postal" legacy.
swi66

OK I've so far determined that the viscous coupler is caising the torque binding, it is a sealed unit that can't be serviced and is a dealer only part. Called the local salvage yards and none have a subaru in the yard.

I need some places to get this part. Also does it have a different name? None of the internet search sites have a "viscous coupler" on the drop down list.

Any suggestions of where to look are greatly appreciated. For the time being I have the rear drive shaft removed but I'd like to get this fixed before winter.

BTW its a 96 Legacy Outback 2.2L

Peter

#7 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • WA

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

AKA... your center differential.
its' a sealed unit on the back of the transmission....

try www.google.com for 'used subaru parts'

good luck
Jamie

#8 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

If your center diff is locked, first make sure that all your tires are the same size and same treadwear or you will eat the new tranny. You could also install a drive line lock and just unlock the rear driveshaft but that'd only work if the viscous coupling is fully fuzed... But yeah, make sure your tires are all the same brand, model, and size, or you will eat teh new tranny. Also make sure they are all the same level of tread wear (new tires on the front and bald on the back will eat the tranny as well!)

#9 audley59

audley59

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • jamaica w.i.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

I am from Slippery Rock, PA and there is a big forign junkyard in Harmony, PA. hey have a bunch of Legacys and Imprezas from the Mid to late 90s. Lemme know what you are looking for and I can stop out and let you know w
hat they have, get a price, etc.

do they have a 96 wrx. gooday i am fairley new here, doing an ej18 to ej20t manual transmission need clutch pedal, gearbox crossmember and flywheel...help me please..

#10 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

do they have a 96 wrx. gooday i am fairley new here, doing an ej18 to ej20t manual transmission need clutch pedal, gearbox crossmember and flywheel...help me please..

No, they don't have any WRX...just some mid-90s Legacy, Outback, and Imprezas.

#11 audley59

audley59

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • jamaica w.i.

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

No, they don't have any WRX...just some mid-90s Legacy, Outback, and Imprezas.

Thanks a lot. I will just have to keep looking. Can anyone tell me if the clutch pedal and gearbox crossmember off a n/a impreza would work with the conversion ?..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users