Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Clutch questions?

I now have the engine of my BRAT pulled to clean it up and replace the clutch as it was squealing with the tiny rally tires... now with the BIG tires... ya right... time for a new clutch.

What I am wondering is: How much smaller is the 82 4WD clutch than an 83+ 4WD clutch. OR how much bigger is it than a 2WD clutch, or is it the same size?

Basically I dont want to run an undersized clutch if I dont have to. We all remember what happened to GD's clutch because it was a FWD unit.

Will a new 82 4WD clutch be good enough? or is it worth getting a bigger one?

My brat came with an extra flywheel (which I gave away! May have to steal it back!) so that was probably the 83+ one I need.

Or... since my brat has a new engine from a wagon, maybe it already HAS what I need... thats what I am trying to figure out.

disk diameters would help here if anyone has specs (like a 9" in 2WD and 10 inch in 4WD or something.....) so that I know what I got when I yank it out.

Mick has the right sizes. Don't even think about the smaller clutch. Even under normal use, the smaller clutch will slip way too soon on a 4WD car. I made that mistake on the first Brat we had and before I knew the difference. You'll just wind up replacing it within a few months. Find a good flywheel and have it resurfaced (don't let them grind of the little "nubbies" that locate the pressure plate).

NO, a 2WD, or '82 4WD clutch WILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH.

Bad juju - I left the 2WD clutch in my wagon after the conversion, and it slipped REALLY bad with the big tires. Just doesn't have enough grip to turn them.

Get a 83+ 4WD flywheel, and put the 225mm clutch in. You will hate yourself if you don't. Ask Qman what happened to me.....

GD

I have a complete flywheel-clutch-pressure plate.. A LIL rusty but can be cleaned up, but the flywheel isn't burnt or anything, if I can't use the clutch on the XT (I think it's a 4WD clutch but it might be a 4WD not sure) then you can have it for some of that 10% alc booze :D

I want to use new parts (other than the flywheel from Rick)

Besides I'm bidding on a 225mm pressure plate and clutch disk on e-bay... ends during the subaru show so I'm gonna have to drive to The Dalles to my parents house to pay the people (if I win)

No one outbid me please, my brat REALLY needs a clutch!

(My e-bay name is the same as my logon on here)

my 84 is using a 2wd clutch. though im running stock tires and stuch. so far it has worked just fine. though my little sister learned how to drive a manual on it so i think she aided in its death. so far no problems with my new one. i can see how it would ware out faster though its not that much smaller than the 4wd unit.

The difference isn't in the size, but where the pressure is applied to the rotating mass. Moving the pressure towards the outside of the flywheel will increase the leverage that the engine has on the transmission input shaft. The 4WD PP is also stronger to account for the increased torque that will be applied. Think of it like using a cheater bar on the end of your wrench.... same principle.

I just drove a stock 82 Brat the other day, and I can tell you the difference is HUGE even with stock size tires. With large meats, the slippage is profound, and totally unacceptable. Take it from someone who has driven all 4 varieties..... the 200mm clutch has no business even existing. The 225mm works equally well with the 2WD trannys, so there is no reason to ever use the 200.

GD