Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

need tire reccomendations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 freshies

freshies

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • mill valley

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

hello,

I am sure this has been covered before (if so perhaps someone could point me to the thread/section), but......

I have a 2002 outback ltd w/43k, and its about time to get new tires. i am still on th original bridgestine potenzas (P225/60R16 M+S). These have been decent tites and am considering just getting the same again.

However, I spned most weekends in Tahoe (read: snow) in the winter so am looking for some reccomendations for some tires that might be a little meatier and better in the snow. Note: I do not want snow-only/spcific tires, because I also drive a lot of highway miles for work when not in the mountains. So, basically, does anyone have any reccoemndations on some good all around tires with an emphasis on snow/traction different than the Potenzas?

Thanks!

#2 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:23 PM

Look for a M/S designation with the little snowflake emblem in addition. Check out Consumer Reports for a less biased opinion than you'll find here.

I like the GY Regatta II. So did Consumer Reports for an All Season tire with good snow capability.

#3 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

Look for a M/S designation with the little snowflake emblem in addition. Check out Consumer Reports for a less biased opinion than you'll find here.

I like the GY Regatta II. So did Consumer Reports for an All Season tire with good snow capability.

(Good Year) regatta II is a really good tire. it's just too boring for me.

i say be a rebel and go for the GY tripple Treads. they're supposedly the latest and greatest things out there. look them up on the website.

#4 Smpol19

Smpol19

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Nothern, VA / Long Island

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:31 AM

not sure if the sizes would work with for yours but i've got a set of BFG traction TA on my OBS and bridgestone weather handler's on my GL wagon. Both have been quite good in the snow. i always try to get a all weather tire thats as close to a snow tire as possible without actually being one and i've really liked these.

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:06 AM

If you like Bridgstone, stick with them. The characteristics that make you like Bridgestone will be hard to find elsewhere. By that I don't mean they are the best tyre ever, but they appeal to you, and that counts - appeal to me to!

I run Blizzak LM18 in winter and they do me fine, and might offer extra snow traction over your present tyres, but I haven't tried those. I also run their summer tyres.

Used to be real Michelin fan, but lately their prices have risen faster than their quality.

#6 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • WA

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:37 AM

I run Dunlop Sport5000's on my Subaru's

love em.
kick rump roast in the rain
good in light snow (i have had mine up to about 8")
and nice grip on the dry
Decent treadwear (last set did me about 40k miles)

only concern is that they may not have the right tire size for the OBK?
not sure on that one...

see the review for the Dunlop sp5000's on www.tirerack.com
in their price range? they are one of the best all season tires out there.

hope this helps
Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users