Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello,

I am sure this has been covered before (if so perhaps someone could point me to the thread/section), but......

I have a 2002 outback ltd w/43k, and its about time to get new tires. i am still on th original bridgestine potenzas (P225/60R16 M+S). These have been decent tites and am considering just getting the same again.

However, I spned most weekends in Tahoe (read: snow) in the winter so am looking for some reccomendations for some tires that might be a little meatier and better in the snow. Note: I do not want snow-only/spcific tires, because I also drive a lot of highway miles for work when not in the mountains. So, basically, does anyone have any reccoemndations on some good all around tires with an emphasis on snow/traction different than the Potenzas?

Thanks!

Look for a M/S designation with the little snowflake emblem in addition. Check out Consumer Reports for a less biased opinion than you'll find here.

I like the GY Regatta II. So did Consumer Reports for an All Season tire with good snow capability.

(Good Year) regatta II is a really good tire. it's just too boring for me.

i say be a rebel and go for the GY tripple Treads. they're supposedly the latest and greatest things out there. look them up on the website.

not sure if the sizes would work with for yours but i've got a set of BFG traction TA on my OBS and bridgestone weather handler's on my GL wagon. Both have been quite good in the snow. i always try to get a all weather tire thats as close to a snow tire as possible without actually being one and i've really liked these.

If you like Bridgstone, stick with them. The characteristics that make you like Bridgestone will be hard to find elsewhere. By that I don't mean they are the best tyre ever, but they appeal to you, and that counts - appeal to me to!

I run Blizzak LM18 in winter and they do me fine, and might offer extra snow traction over your present tyres, but I haven't tried those. I also run their summer tyres.

Used to be real Michelin fan, but lately their prices have risen faster than their quality.

I run Dunlop Sport5000's on my Subaru's

love em.

kick rump roast in the rain

good in light snow (i have had mine up to about 8")

and nice grip on the dry

Decent treadwear (last set did me about 40k miles)

only concern is that they may not have the right tire size for the OBK?

not sure on that one...

see the review for the Dunlop sp5000's on www.tirerack.com

in their price range? they are one of the best all season tires out there.

hope this helps

Jamie