Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Subaru Outback snow time...

Well, we're getting to that time of year when the snow may be flying. I'm in month 4 of owning my 04 outback, and am starting to think snow tires. Some local folks I have talked to swear by the all weather's that came with it. That may be alright for them, but i'm a bit more willing to get myself into interesting situations than most (some for needed reasons, some for selfish fun reasons :o) And i'm in a little bit of a different location from those folks, and the road treatments arn't exactly quickly forthcomming.

Well, what are the opinions on snow tires? Any issues out there that i need to know about? This is my first subaru. I have a caravan in the little fleet here, and i put Blizzaks on it last year, and the winter here was really ugly last year and it worked well.

So, whats the verdicts?

Thanks!

I used to think that snow tires were not needed on an all wheel drive Soob, until I got a set last year. I didn't get anything expensive, just a set of Cooper's for about $40 each, and the difference was amazing. Especially in wet/slushy snow on the highway.

I would suggest getting a second set of rims. You can get a set of 14" steels for about $40 from a yard. If you want alloys, check the yards or ebay.

edit, I just saw you have a 2004, 14" wheels may not fit over the brakes.

14" won't fit an Outback, but extra rims is a good idea. Keeps the alloy wheels nice, no salt or other chemical exposure.

If you want a good tire, Blizzaks seem to be the choice. They just wear tread faster than most, so a set of extra rims will come in handy if you want to change out if winter starts or ends sooner than expected.

The stock all-weathers will get you through almost any situation for the occasional early or late snows.

14" won't fit an Outback, but extra rims is a good idea. Keeps the alloy wheels nice, no salt or other chemical exposure.

If you want a good tire, Blizzaks seem to be the choice. They just wear tread faster than most, so a set of extra rims will come in handy if you want to change out if winter starts or ends sooner than expected.

The stock all-weathers will get you through almost any situation for the occasional early or late snows.

I should have mentioned that I was going to get rims, oops :o) I'm not really worried about the sooner wear down. I really don't put that many miles on.

Seems a Blizzak shopping i will go.