Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello,

I have a 93 Subaru Legacy L Sedan. Occasionally, perhaps three times a week or so, the ignition will not fully lock, therefore not permitting the key to release. This is particularly frustrating when I'm trying to get to work on time! Usually what I have done is restart the car, drive it a short distance, and then try to turn it off completely again. Sometimes I have to do this a few times. It's so annoying. Does someone know why this would happen?

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

I have a 93 Subaru Legacy L Sedan. Occasionally, perhaps three times a week or so, the ignition will not fully lock, therefore not permitting the key to release. This is particularly frustrating when I'm trying to get to work on time! Usually what I have done is restart the car, drive it a short distance, and then try to turn it off completely again. Sometimes I have to do this a few times. It's so annoying. Does someone know why this would happen?

Do you have a spare key you can try? Or, is the key you are using worn? I had a key/ignition issue on a Dodge Intrepid years ago and IIRC, taking apart the ignition/re-building the tumblers is a MAJOR job. Take a good look at the key or try a spare key if you have one. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Is the car an automatic? If so make sure the lever is fully engaged in Park. If the lever does not reach P then you will not be able to spin the key fully to the "off" position. I had a similar situation some years back and the culprit was a penny lodged in the lever guide preventing me from fully reaching the P.