Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1996 Legacy L wagon makes a noise when I start moving while it is in reverse. The noise is like a squealing noise, maybe like what brakes sound like as they start to go bad. But stepping on the brake pedal doesn't make this noise, just driving in reverse. What's wrong?

The noise comes from the back half of the car, possibly rear wheels. I'll be driving it in a few minutes, will try the hand-brake lever idea and let you know.

It will be helpful if you can tell us where the noise is coming from. It's probably the hand-brake mechanism inside the drum(s). Try pulling the hand-brake lever hard and release it in case it got stuck a little.

I tried the hand brake idea, no change. It is a metallic noise, appears to come from near the back wheels, but I can't localize it to either the left or right back wheel, from the driver's seat with the windows down. Is there anything else I can do to try to identify the problem?

If you have four good jackstands, you can raise the car up on all four and start the engine and put it in reverse and you can step outside the car to listen. That'll be the best way to test it. Just make sure you have securely raised the car so it won't slip or fall making the car takes off as it is very dangerous when the wheels are spinning.

Not to sound sexest but I am to assume that the poster of this thread is a woman. Birthyear of 1945 as stated in the profile. I think we would be asking a bit much of this person to try to get them to put their car on jackstands. If they want to do it and feel they could do it in a safe maner then by all means please do so. If the ideal of having your vehicle moving while hanging in the air scares the daylights out of you...take it to a mecanic you know and trust. I know saving money is great by doing it yourself but keeping everyone safe should be your main concern.

If you feel i have barked up the wrong tree then please disregard this message and good luck with your vehicle. We will always be here to answer any questions you may have.

You are correct in guessing my circumstances, and in also guessing how I would feel about having my car moving while suspended in air. However, I am supposed to pick up my new 2004 Subaru today, and will drop this one off to have it repaired at the dealer. They have a good service department, and that way I won't have to worry about getting a ride up to that city to pick up my new one. If they can figure it out, I'll let you know what the problem was.

Many thanks for your help.

I just read one of the related messages posted back in November about a possible problem with a differential. The response given to that message was to make sure that all four tires are the same, before starting any repair efforts. I have three tires the same, all inflated to the same amount, but the minute I had my tires rotated, it felt like the car was steering funny. I will replace that fourth tire that is different, and see what happens to the noise.