Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Post - 91 Legacy question

Very low miles, I say definitely grab it for that price. I've seen 90-94 Legacies come new off the showroom floor with more miles than that :lol:

Check the valve covers for obligatory leaks, mileage doesn't matter, it's still a 13-year-old car. Check the knock sensor (on the block directly below the driver's side of the throttle body) to see if it's a grey connector. If it is, replace it with a new one with a white connector, the old ones are prone to cracking and being oversensitive. Make sure the timing belt has been changed, if it's still on its original which it could be at that mileage, get it replaced ASAP before it breaks (although it's not interference so nothing will happen if it does). Besides this, just check the obvious stuff.

That is such low mileage though that I personally would pay $3k for it. That could last longer than a new car you could buy, no kidding.

Thank you for the quick reply. Can a DIY'er do the timing belts? Alternatively, how much should I expect to pay a shop to do them? The reason I ask is that I also own a Porsche 944S where doing the timing belts is $1K. That is A LOT of money for me.

Thanks!