Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Av-GAS 130octane in a 1400cc

Guest subarugsr

Guest subarugsr

If i were to put 130octane AVGAS in my car mixed with sum premium 96octane, what would i need to do to gain maximum performence out of this fuel?

cheers

my guess here is the octane would be wasted, sorry.

This type of fuel does <span style="text-decoration:underline">NOT</span> have more "explosive power" This conception is false, most people believe that octane means power - wrong.

Octane (which elementarily is a rating of how SLOW the fuel burns, higher oct yields slower burn) allows the use of advanced timing and higher compression (whether real or artificial, read turbo or supercharged) with out the engine "detonating" or suffering "pre ignition". These race mod factors increase the engines ability to make more torque and HP NOT the fuel.

So your "magic mix" would be best put to use IF you add twin turbos (one for each carb - hehe), weld filled the heads in the combustion chambers, and put in a radical advance curved disty. NOW were using the octane you speak of.

Hope this helps but doubt it will.

Guest Konrad

i've put in 101 gasoline,:evil: into my go-cart (650cc) instead of 95,

it run great :D , for 15 minutes :x and after that i was looking for my valves in the field,........ bad example

konrad

1989 DL Wagon 5spd D/R with LSD

1984 GL Sedan RWD

1982 DL Sedan 4WD

Guest GeneralDisorder

Skip is right - higher octane fuel has LESS BTU's per gallon than low octane fuel. Also - gasoline in general has more BTU's per gallon than just about anything else man made as far as fuel goes. That's why gas engines run at very low compression - gasoline is so damn "hot". Methanol, which is what we *should* be using on the streets has less BTU's per gallon, but foruma 1 cars don't seem to mind :D - this is because they are running about 25:1 compression. I watched a video of two cars set on fire - one with a tank of M80 (80% methanol, 20% gasoline), and a car with pure gas. At the end of 2 minutes, the gasoline car was completely engulfed in flames, and the M80 car was only burning a little at the rear end. Methanol is much safer! Diesel is even lower BTU's per gallon, and compression runs anywhere from 25:1 to 100:1 (most big deisels are turbo'd). So unless you can get your car up to about 16:1 compression, it won't do you any good. I'll say it again: you should run the LOWEST octane fuel your engine can stand with no pinging - it will burn hotter and cleaner with less deposits left over.

GD

Guest subarugsr

yea i think my car is running about 11:1 compression ratio.. so am i better off ignoring the AVGAS and just buy the lowest rating fuel possible? if i mix the AVGAS can i tune my car to meet a peak with an accurate mxture?

Guest archemitis

you would need 11:1 compression to utalise that fuel. you did not mention that in the original post. i would tune it on 92 or 93 octane, just so you can find usable gas. with the better gas you could prolly advance timng more. dont think you would do too good on 87 with that much compression.

Guest subarugsr

oook, over here we can buy either 91 or 96premium, ive been running it off 96 since ive had it going. should i continue with the 96? so putting the avgas in is not an option for added performance?

cheers