Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, guys, I hope I don't sound too unrealistic here. Tonight, my 91 Leggie auto AWD may have given up finally. I was driving, suddenly the Check Engine Light came on, went off, came on, went off, then the engine start shaking like crazy, driveable, but seems like it doesn't want to go anymore. Step on the gas, the car shook alot, so I returned back home.

Checked everything, no loose hose/tube of any kind. Can't figure what's going on now. PCV just replaced. IAC, not sure if it is the problem, but recently replaced. Checked all plugs, all tight (and just replaced about two months ago). Oxygen sensor just replaced two months ago as well. Could it be that I used the Universal one?

Any ideas before I bury this old man in the grave for the final time?

Thanks in advance!

Thats kinda vauge. I would say you might have either a small problem or a huge problem. For the small check everything. Check the plugs wires and for spark. Also take a listen or test the fuel injectors. For the huge problem check the compression. Also take a quick look at the coolant and oil checking for milk shake. Basically with the shaking it seems as though you are having a mis firing condition on one or a few cylinders.

Check it out,

Phil

A second thought....

Does it idle smooth, will it do this when cool? I'm not savvy on that distrubiter-less ignition but when a coil starts to go in say... an 80 turbo car, it usually devlops a high speed miss when the coil gets hot with engine temps and use. Just thinking that if one of the "coil packs" went this way that 2 cylinders would mis, possibably at high speed, possibably when hot. Again, I don't know if thats common with your set-up, but they are similar to regular coils in some respects.

Phil

One little glitch is no reason to junk the car!

Your computer has stored the code that threw the CEL. Find Legacy777's profile and go to his website, there are detailed instructions to pulling those codes... Post whatever you find out and we could lead you in the right direction.

I've got a feeling its a MAF sensor though...

Right on! Thanks guys! I found the culprit tonight as I couldn't sleep and had to go out to the car and did some fiddling around. I found the problem to be the fuel injector number 4. It took out each plug one at a time and upon unplugging no. 1 - 3, the engine sound rougher but sure enough when I got to no. 4, the engine sound the same. I did a hearing-test on the injector and it didn't make any clicking noise like others, so I'm 99% sure it's it. I also did some current/voltage test on them and and they seem to be around .47 - .50 volt, is this normal? What is the voltage suppose to be if they are not normal?

I will go and get a used injector tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem. Any recommendation which I should go for, used or new injector?

I will keep you all posted!

Thanks alot again, guys. You all rock!

Guest Vickaroo

I just asked Chef Tim for you and he said to have it remaned!!!! "just like new only half the cost." hope that helps for you .... Good Luck... Vicky

I haven't actually call a dealer yet, but from my phone shopping around today, the cheapest new one is like $120.00. A few stores even quoted me a price of way over $250.00 for a new one! That's ridiculous! I finally found that they can order a reman one at Red Rooster for $81.00 (which is one of the stores that has the new one for $257.00). Napa can order a new one for $117.00 in about a week. Wells Auto can order a new one for $130ish, which can arrive as soon as Tuesday. Checker can order it for $160ish, which they said they don't even know when it's gonna arrive.

Why is there such a vast price difference between each store? I think I'm going with the reman at Red Rooster. What do you guys think?

That's great. The only problem is I need it as soon as I can get it. Is it possible that you ship it overnight? I can send you payment once I receive the item or we can do cross shipment. I can provide you with my mailing address, phone # (both work and home) just in case you don't trust me. I've heard terrifying stories and so I want to make sure we are on a smooth transaction.

And you sure it will work on my 91 Leggie? Auto non-Turbo?

I am an ebayer so I could set it up on an auction with a buy-it-now and we could do it thru there if that will work for you. It is pretty secure that way. I will take a money order, cash or Personal check if want and then I will send you out the item. If you do not ebay then we will work something out. E-mail me if you wish to talk on a more personal level and swap contact info.

Thanks,

Greg

I have a 90 non-turbo leggy. Works great. it is midnight at my house in FL but I am up late usually so I can set that auction up tonight if that will work for you.

Sure, we can do that on Ebay. The only minor problem is I want to get it ASAP as I need the car and I can't go the whole week without my car. Let me give it a thought about it since it's the weekend and there isn't much can be done at this time anyway.

Do you think I would damage my engine if I drive it with one of the injectors not firing at all?

Think it over if you want trhen shoot me an e-mail if you want it and I will put the auction on and then send you a link to the auction. I will priority ship the item to you and then wait for payment. I like to think I am a trusting person. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Hope this helps

Yes you can drive the vehicle with the bad injector but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Think it over if you want trhen shoot me an e-mail if you want it and I will put the auction on and then send you a link to the auction. I will priority ship the item to you and then wait for payment. I like to think I am a trusting person. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Hope this helps

Yes you can drive the vehicle with the bad injector but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Thanks, I like to call myself a very trustful(ty) person, too. Also, I do have Ebay account, too, if we were to go that route, it wouldn't be a problem at all. BTW, I got 22 Positive feedbacks as I'm not doing too much Ebaying.

Regarding driving with the bad injector, I hesitated since I felt like the engine is really rough so I was afraid I might damage some internal parts, which would make it a pain in my neck to fix as I'm almost completely broke at the moment.

And by the way, I started my car tonight and I got the Check Engine Light solid where as it was blinking/flashing the night before. Since I don't have a code reader, I can't see what the trouble code is, but I really think it's the injector no. 4.

Tell you what...I have 161 positive feedbacks and I will put the auction up tonight, send you a link, use the buy-it-now, and I will ship the item to you. When you can afford to pay me....do so. I know what it's like to be broke as F##K. I have 2 kids but the lord blessed me with ,my dream job as an IT consultant so my broke days are behind me. Your best days are ahead of you.

Shoot me an e-mail so I can send you the auction link

coloradosubarules@yahoo.com

Tell you what...I have 161 positive feedbacks and I will put the auction up tonight, send you a link, use the buy-it-now, and I will ship the item to you. When you can afford to pay me....do so. I know what it's like to be broke as F##K. I have 2 kids but the lord blessed me with ,my dream job as an IT consultant so my broke days are behind me. Your best days are ahead of you.

Shoot me an e-mail so I can send you the auction link

coloradosubarules@yahoo.com

You are just too nice and kind, friend. I will email you right now. I'm speechless with your kindness. What more can I say?

When you get the new injector you will notice that it looks different than the one you pulled out. This is because it is an aftermarket injector but it fits and works just as good as OEM. I put over 3K on mine and it purrrrrs. (grease the O-ring with something that will not eat the rubber) when installing. Two screws and one wire harness hold it in. If the old one resists be carefull! Use a pair of pliars to gently twist the unit untill it is free.