Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power window question

I had that problem in my GL-10 before I sold it. The only thing I did was take off the door panels and lay some wheel bearing grease down in the tracks/gears and they worked perfectly. I suspect that overtime water gets in there and dries out any lubrication that was on there.

I had that problem in my GL-10 before I sold it. The only thing I did was take off the door panels and lay some wheel bearing grease down in the tracks/gears and they worked perfectly. I suspect that overtime water gets in there and dries out any lubrication that was on there.

Yea the motors tend to lose power over time, try lube and you might also clean the contacts on the power leads.

Yeah, the power accesories in these cars do need maintenance, even though it's not called for on the maintenance schedule. This becomes obvious if you remove parts from old doors, or do power window conversions.

Besides lubricating the motor and rails, you should clean and re-moisturize the rubber weatherstripping around the glass frame. Sometimes the binding occurs because the glass is getting hung up on the rubber.

If this doesn't help, I would try a different motor. They do slow down, then evetually burn out. This is often caused by the friction (lack of lubrictaion) described above. May as well replace a weak motor when you have good access to it.

Unlike other makes, which use "universal-type" window motors, the electric motors in our Subes are made specifically for each door. If you go out looking for a used one, make sure its an exact match.

good luck, John

Yeah, the power accesories in these cars do need maintenance, even though it's not called for on the maintenance schedule. This becomes obvious if you remove parts from old doors, or do power window conversions.

Besides lubricating the motor and rails, you should clean and re-moisturize the rubber weatherstripping around the glass frame. Sometimes the binding occurs because the glass is getting hung up on the rubber.

If this doesn't help, I would try a different motor. They do slow down, then evetually burn out. This is often caused by the friction (lack of lubrictaion) described above. May as well replace a weak motor when you have good access to it.

Unlike other makes, which use "universal-type" window motors, the electric motors in our Subes are made specifically for each door. If you go out looking for a used one, make sure its an exact match.

good luck, John

Yea like he said, good info there..was not aware they were made for each door.