Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power window question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

both rear windows will go easily down but will not come up without some help (pulling them up while someone holds the switch) I just bought the car...is it possible that the windows are like that because they were seldom used and the window tracks are dirty

#2 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

Which one to drive today?

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:05 AM

I had that problem in my GL-10 before I sold it. The only thing I did was take off the door panels and lay some wheel bearing grease down in the tracks/gears and they worked perfectly. I suspect that overtime water gets in there and dries out any lubrication that was on there.

#3 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:10 AM

I had that problem in my GL-10 before I sold it. The only thing I did was take off the door panels and lay some wheel bearing grease down in the tracks/gears and they worked perfectly. I suspect that overtime water gets in there and dries out any lubrication that was on there.

Yea the motors tend to lose power over time, try lube and you might also clean the contacts on the power leads.

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

even better, find a can of spray white lithium grease, worked great!

#5 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, the power accesories in these cars do need maintenance, even though it's not called for on the maintenance schedule. This becomes obvious if you remove parts from old doors, or do power window conversions.

Besides lubricating the motor and rails, you should clean and re-moisturize the rubber weatherstripping around the glass frame. Sometimes the binding occurs because the glass is getting hung up on the rubber.

If this doesn't help, I would try a different motor. They do slow down, then evetually burn out. This is often caused by the friction (lack of lubrictaion) described above. May as well replace a weak motor when you have good access to it.

Unlike other makes, which use "universal-type" window motors, the electric motors in our Subes are made specifically for each door. If you go out looking for a used one, make sure its an exact match.

good luck, John

#6 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

Which one to drive today?

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, the power accesories in these cars do need maintenance, even though it's not called for on the maintenance schedule. This becomes obvious if you remove parts from old doors, or do power window conversions.

Besides lubricating the motor and rails, you should clean and re-moisturize the rubber weatherstripping around the glass frame. Sometimes the binding occurs because the glass is getting hung up on the rubber.

If this doesn't help, I would try a different motor. They do slow down, then evetually burn out. This is often caused by the friction (lack of lubrictaion) described above. May as well replace a weak motor when you have good access to it.

Unlike other makes, which use "universal-type" window motors, the electric motors in our Subes are made specifically for each door. If you go out looking for a used one, make sure its an exact match.

good luck, John

Yea like he said, good info there..was not aware they were made for each door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users