Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Impreza Coupe... i wanna do an ej20 swap

hey, i was wondering if anyone on here has done this before, and for some pointers. my license was revoked for the next 6 months so i figure if i can't drive it i might as well finally finish it. it currently has the 2.2 litre engine. it has an AT, i would also like to swap that out for a 5 speed, if anyone has any help with that as well, it would be appreciated. this is a long-time dream of a project and i'm finally financially prepared, so i'm going for it. i am just finishing my 72 vw super beetle as well... some highlights include 3" wider fenders and a 13b-t. raw rotary power =P

thanks,

brian

Yep, your talking to him. The EJ22 engine Impreza have approximately 52 wires that need to be spliced. Since the manual trannies have hydraulic clutches, you'd have to change the pedal set up anyway, so starting with an auto is a big deal. If you just got your license suspended, maybe this isn't the project for you, this conversion is not for the faint hearted. I can guarantee that if you have trouble getting tickets now, you think that is nothing compared with what will happen if you drive this car.

Yep, your talking to him. The EJ22 engine Impreza have approximately 52 wires that need to be spliced. Since the manual trannies have hydraulic clutches, you'd have to change the pedal set up anyway, so starting with an auto is a big deal. If you just got your license suspended, maybe this isn't the project for you, this conversion is not for the faint hearted. I can guarantee that if you have trouble getting tickets now, you think that is nothing compared with what will happen if you drive this car.

hey man, thanks for replying. the suspended lisence was for driving my motorcycle without insurance or a bike endorsement... yeah i couldn't wait 1 week to take it out untill i took the safety course, had to go out the night i got it. well either way, i have gotten my fair share of tickets, however, i've matured out of that stage enough to handle the madness. i just want something that looks nice and that i can have a ****-ton of fun with on the weekends at the track. if you wouldn't mind i'd love to trade emails with you so that once the project is underway, maybe you could answer some of my questions from a knowledgable point of view. look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks.

brian