Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80 1600 swap to '83 IGN & Charging system complete

took my '80 GL wagon with 1600 in it, and put in new coil,

and a disty and int VR Alt from an '83 Brat

got to remove the failed Ext VR, old coil, old disty, IGN module, and the totally decimated battery.

also replaced the oil pump and front crank seal while I was at it.

I used a NAPA front crank seal (Chicago Rawhide brand). it was basically metal, with rubber on the inside lip. what a pain to put in compared with the normal metal imbedded in rubber kind...... especially with the motor and rad still in place :)

Got it running smoothly today. had to leave some vac hoses un-plugged.

the 1600 disty had 2 vac lines, and the '83 only has the one...

after driving my 82 with the custom exhaust, and finely tuned weber, this 1600 feels like a moped :)

I used a NAPA front crank seal (Chicago Rawhide brand). it was basically metal, with rubber on the inside lip. what a pain to put in compared with the normal metal imbedded in rubber kind...... especially with the motor and rad still in place :)

aargh, i absolutely hate those seals. whoever invented them obviously never had to actually install one, or is a sadist.

Mick, I'm going to box up your carpet and HL trims and radio console today, will ship this week. any lead on the other stuff i suggested trading for?

*end thread hijack*