Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is that oil coming from???????

Ok..I pulled the belts, pulled the timing cover, and all that stuff. Took the car for a spin and noticed that the oil is leaking from what look to be between the waterpump and block? NO CLUE!! There is a sprocket next to the waterpump on the leftside of it, is this the oil pump shaft? This is driving me batty!! HELP!!!

coloradosubarules

Most likely it's the sealer on that side of the oil pump that has broken down . Pull the oil pump off and reseal it with some RTV sealant.Permatex gray if you can find it . You will have to replace the seal under the oil pump and also the crank seal

Note : check the screws on the back of the oil pump they tend to loosen over time , a dab of locktite wouldn't hurt

SEA#3

Thanks for the pics but which one is the oil pump and what screws should I be looking for? What does those 2 downward facing bolts do on the front of the engine, smack in the middle.

Here is alink to an oil seal I found at advance auto. Is this the one I am going to need to replace? How hard is it? What kind of task is it to get the key out so the timing gear slide off? Should I worry about throwing the time off by just replacing the pump seal? How do I take tension off the belt?

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=BAR&MfrPartNumber=0523640&PartType=925&PTSet=A

dcp 2715 jpeg is a great picture of the back of the pump. you can see the screws, and the port where the o-ring goes. there are two flow paths, one through the o-ring, and the other between the pump body and the front of the block which is sealed by the glue job. The work is exactly the same as doing a timing belt, with the extra step of pulling the oil pump off and sealing it to the block with a new o-ring in place. The $2 lip seal on the front also needs to be changed, and is what brought my 99 down at 65,000 miles. It's really not much work once you are down that far, and the o-ring and seal are very inexpensive. There have been several threads here on timing belt changeout that were remarkably complete, someone will probably chime in on that subject with a link.