Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Supercharger for EA81

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

I picked up a copy of Sport Compact on vacation because it included an article on my first Japanese car--a 1972 Datsun 510. While perusing the magazine, I saw an add for Procharger superchargers. That got me thinking.

I assume the prochargers cost too much to put on a $1,300 car. All the dealer websites I visited said "call for pricing." However, I stumbled on hints here and on a couple aircraft sites that someone might have retrofitted a Mazda supercharger onto an EA-81. Anyone have any details?

#2 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

Don't know about a Mazda Supercharger, but Ive sorta been working on retrofitting an Eaton M90 (Thunderbird SC) to an EA81. So far, I need a custom manifold (working on it) and some better carburetion. I'm thinking about using a pair of weber side drafts for that. Not real sure, but I suppose we'll see what we shall see.

#3 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:49 PM

Well other than the manifold, drive belt, and fuel management, It would probably be in your better interest to start with a turbo engine. This way you have the block and internals designed for the forced induction. But you could easily get by with lower compression pistons, or just run low boost. But if your going thru all the trouble with the modifications to the induction set-up. you will want to run high boost to take FULL advantage of the supercharger.

I believe the Eaton supercharger is on the buick 3800's too, as well as some Jaguar XJ6's, so they are available.

#4 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:55 PM

I'm starting with what I have, mostly as a proof-of-concept. If I can get it to work more or less the way I want it, then I'll move up to turbo goodies and start tweaking on it to get engine management all tuned up. Mostly, I thought this might work as a means to boost low-end torque for more 'wheeling goodness.

Either way, I'm just in the planning stages at the moment.

#5 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 29 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

You might look for superchargers that were originally installed on small cars or used ones for british cars like MGBs and Midgets, etc.

#6 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:00 AM

Well other than the manifold, drive belt, and fuel management, It would probably be in your better interest to start with a turbo engine. This way you have the block and internals designed for the forced induction. But you could easily get by with lower compression pistons, or just run low boost. But if your going thru all the trouble with the modifications to the induction set-up. you will want to run high boost to take FULL advantage of the supercharger.

I believe the Eaton supercharger is on the buick 3800's too, as well as some Jaguar XJ6's, so they are available.

I'm sure you are right. I wanted to put a dual-range tranny in a turbo car and lift it, but I wanted an EA-81 NOW more ;)

Here is a link to the thread on the supercharged EA-81 with pics:

http://subaru.sonik....pics/18786.html

Looks like it was a Toyota supercharger on an EA-82.

#7 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

hmm thats all mad maxish and stuff
as long as the s/c is not too big
you can get a custom drive pulley made for it
to provide the correct s/c rpm for x amount of boost

#8 MorganM