Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy linkage/tranny trouble!

I have a 1992 Justy that has been sitting around for a couple months because of a transmission issue. I'm not sure how hard it would be to fix or how much trouble it would be.

My problem:

I was parking one day and I put the car into reverse, and it got stuck and wouldn't come out. Afterwards I noticed that the bolt that holds together and keeps the external linkage in sync had fallen out. I've been able to put the car into 5th gear with lots of trouble, but it's pretty much stuck in reverse.

Is this a known issue? I'm not sure if the internal linkage is stuck or the shifter or what. I'm not a mechanic (or good with cars, even). I've read mention of a "removing the tension" trick, but I don't know how that may be performed.

I had a guy look at it, and he said it might just be the shifter. But who knows?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

The syncronizers were really poor in the Justy trannys and the most common reason they stick in gear is that afterm many miles the syncronizers get so deeply grroved the guid pins just jam in the grooves. You can sometimes rotate the gear one tooth and reassemble and the problem is gone.

Another reason they lock up is the shifter fork can break off and jam the sliding gear train.

Either way the tranny has to be cracked open to fix.

Slim

• 1 year later...

I was searching having the same issue. I have a 91 subaru justy just had a new motor put in it in january. I came home stopped on a hill at my place. Came back out and was about too leave. And started the car putting it in reverse. The reverse is stuck. Even when i put the clutch petal too the floor and the emergency break off it wont roll back.. I dont know what I did wrong any help?

robert

Guys,

:eek:

Came around a traffic circle 2 weeks ago shifted lazily... all of a sudden- my shift pattern is 1 1/2 feet in diameter with only revrse and 1st!... coasted to shoulder- thankfully! Lay under car and finally saw a torn protective 'boot' surrounding a linkage 'rod' that had come away from a 'linkage cup'. Forced the rod back to seat in the cup and was able to select gears... barely if super careful. No one wanted to touch it- a bunch of clowns talked about needing a new trans when you could see it was a linkage issue. Subaru dealer scratched its head. i limped it to one more place a local transmission shop figuring they had seen hundreds of linkages... they wound up welding an additional length of 'linkage rod' to prevent the rod from slipping out of the cup and packed it with heavy grease. i have been shifting hard to stress test the 30 day warranty on this laboe sinc with no problem. The shift throw is a little longer but A-OK.

NOTE: This part failure was preceded by a rattling noise in the shifter audible from inside the car....

Best Luck/Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

119,000 miles

Well thank god my f350 was ahead of it pulled the justy forward six inches got under the car and messed with the linkage and got back in the car it poped out. I tried this last night with no success. Just thankful. 89 I know the feeling when stuck but isnt it nice when the cars dont weigh anything when pushing them.