Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 cv's and front wheel bearings

Carl, a bearing press is nice, but not needed. If you're careful you can replace the bearings by tapping them in with a drift punch. Out is easier since you need not worry about damaging the bearing race. I'd suggest you pull a front assembly at Pull a Part, check it for good bearing first, and then re-grease the bearings and install that instead. Less downtime and you'll have an easier time of it; also, the entire assembly with bearings will likely cost you less than new bearings. By the way, are you still looking for rear disks?

I had a bearing come out w/ an axle on an EA82. Examination did reveal a little bit of pitting in the hub. I cleaned w/ a bit of emery cloth, and ended up doing both bearings.

If you need to go cheap there are 2-3 bearing shops on 4th av S off the michigan exit- I think its a '209'. I picked up sealed bearings down there for about $15 each, the guy quoted @$11 for regular (about $10-15 less that Schucks/action) Seals you will have to pick up at an auto parts store probably for about $5 ea.

BTW I am not convinced sealed ones are the way to go. No matter what small grit can work its way in there. Plus the outer race has only about a millimeter exposed so tapping them in w/anything but another bearing is probably a bad idea.

Autozone has em for about $12 for Timken bearings.... you really ought to replace both if you are going to do it, and both of the seals as well - the seals run about $5 (also Timken IIRC).

I think I would go for the sealed units if you have a nice way to install them as Sven sugested.... but the non-sealed are cheaper, and can be installed with a drift without removing the hub from the car.

GD

Carl, a bearing press is nice, but not needed. If you're careful you can replace the bearings by tapping them in with a drift punch. Out is easier since you need not worry about damaging the bearing race. I'd suggest you pull a front assembly at Pull a Part, check it for good bearing first, and then re-grease the bearings and install that instead. Less downtime and you'll have an easier time of it; also, the entire assembly with bearings will likely cost you less than new bearings. By the way, are you still looking for rear disks?
Yes I am ... if ya have any, I will give 100 bucks for a set. Thanks, Yeah austin's got a nice parts wagon with good bearings, we're gonna pull them from that car. I just got done talking to him after I posted lol