Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was moving this weekend and somewhere in the process, put a small little ding on one of the right passenger door panel on my 03 OBW. It's not obvious but it's definitely there.

Has anyone every used any commerically available dent remover products(ie ding king etc) to remove dings? I don't want to pay a body shop to remove the small ding but it just bugs me that the ding is there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

danz75

I've used the Dent Wizard franchisee in Peabody, MA several times. They've been excellent. A single dent is usually repaired for $50 or $75 and you can't see where it was damaged at all. I had three dents from a shopping cart fixed for $275, it would have been nearly $500 from a typical body shop and they did it in an afternoon.

New car dealers use them all the time.....

http://www.dentwizard.com/site/US/EN/index.htm

I've never tried one of the fix-it gizmos before. They might work like a dream, but I don't know how they do it. Only thing I can think of would be suction, but it seems like it would take an unreal amount of that to actually pull out a dent "cleanly".

I am no body man by trade, but I have grown up doing home-guy repairs. Typically, bigger dents are taken out w/ a dent puller--a long rod w/ a screw attached on the end. You drill a hole, screw in the rod, then pull back on a sliding striker that's attached around the rod. The key is to go gradually. Then you usually take a body hammer and smooth it out, followed by a small dab of body filler. For little dings, I usually sand off the paint, apply a dab of body filler from a tube, sand, and dab w/ touchup paint.

Both of those aren't of any use if you don't want to fool w/ applying a small amount of filler and touchup paint.

Here's what I'd try, though it would be time consuming and may not even be possible depending on the exact location of the ding. Take off the door panel and see if you can locate the ding from the inside of the door. If so, take a rod like a piece of rebar or something flat--not a screwdriver--and tap the ding out gradually using a small hammer on the rod. Japanese metal usually does this fairly easily (although I guess modern American cars are by now the same.) You may want to tape a piece of rag to the end of the rod so it doesn't have quite as harsh a hit.

Don't know if any of that will help or not. Mostly "old school" information, so some out there may know better/easier methods.

Thanks for the tip. I've thought of that and might try that route since it's in a place where it's easily accessible. I was trying to find an easier way and not have to remove the inside door panels but it would be a definite logical way to save $50.

Would you recommend any do it yourself products?

No. Those suction cup deals are a joke.

If using the dent wizard, would it be more cost effective to consolidate the dents and have them removed all at once?

Yes, they have package deals to remove multiple dents. Just park near the door of a shopping mall or grocery store a few times - you'll have all the dents you need to get a GREAT deal! I had to threaten to take Shaw's Supermarkets to small claims court to get them to pay - Stop & Shop doesn't jerk you around like that.

They massage the metal to remove the dent and all the ripples around it without disturbing the exterior paint. This is a huge advantage over conventional metalworking techniques, such as drilling holes and pulling it out. They have special tools to do it. Very slick.

Dent Wizard uses various shaped metal rods and flat pieces that they can acually slide down through a window channel. They "romance" the dent out while viewing the exterior and compared to a black line reflected in a mirror. It was fun to watch. As stated previously, there is no need to repaint and this is a major plus. I saw the guy cleaning up the cars in a dealer's lot and cut a deal where he did the whole car... many dents for $200 cash. Seemed like a good deal for the both of us as it didn't take him more than 30-40 minutes. The results are very acceptable. The one ding that would have required drilling a hole etc. was left there and I don't regret not having created bare metal and the eventual rust that follows. It's a great system and hopefully your dent didn't break the paint surface and will be a good candidate for the process.