Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more questions!..fan in a 91 legacy..

things seem to be going well at the moment.. thanks for all your help so far.. cars running pretty good:)

However, dont know what temp the fan should kick in... have run it a bit in cool weather.. and nothings happening... the car hasnt been run for some time... is there anything i can check?... i presume its ECU controlled?... what temp should it start up at?...

thanks again..:)

I always wondered about the fans myself. In my 91 Legacy Turbo I've only even seen one fan run when it's idling, AC on or not. When does the second one run? I was told by someone that it only kicks in when the engine starts getting really hot and temp gauge starts creeping up past the normal halfway point. Anyone else know about this?

Here is what I know. I have a 90 Legacy wagon. When the car is fisrt turned on, no fans are on. When the vehicle reaches normal operating temp the first fan kicks on. (the pass side) When the car is being driven hard, idling too long or the A/C is in use the 2nd fan kicks on. (drivers side) When moving from CO to FL I wired up a relay so that both fans ran at all times when the car was turned on. Lets just say the engine stayed nice and cool even with the A/C on Climbing hills.

Hope this helps