Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird front axle nut

I went to do the brakes on my 88 GL wagon 4WD, but one (only one) of the front axle nuts is not 36mm, it is smaller, maybe 32mm, and the threaded shaft is proportionally smaller too. The other 3 axles have the normal 36mm nuts. I had to abort, worrying that something funky was going on there and I wouldn't be able to put it back together without replacing a lot of parts. Why would this be different? :confused: :confused:

Wow - that is weird. You'll have to pull it apart and see. Maybe they ruined the threads on the axle, and had it turned down and threaded for a smaller nut? Leganus axles use a smaller nut too.... but they would be too long for an 88. Maybe it's parts of several axles that have been frankenstiened together....

GD

Frankenstein! That is exactly what I am afraid of! I just didn't want to say it out loud. I guess I will just have to make sure I have a backup car and tear into it, and be ready to fork over the $$$ to return things to normal. Lucky there is a Pull-a-part nearby with several donors at the ready. I think TPO allowed his beer drinking buddies to perform maintenance on this car in exchange for the afforementioned beer!

The nut size varies depending on wether or not it is a OEM new or rebuilt axle or an aftermarket axle. 36mm for standard and 32mm for the other. The punch needs to be a 3/16ths. The difference between 2wd and 4WD axles is the size of the shaft. 2wd axels are thinner than 4WD axles.

Qman

Glad I'm not the only one that's come across this. I have an 88 2wd Hatch that has an off sized nut on the left front axle. Haven't had time to figure out what size it is yet. It's definitely a reman. axle, it says so on the tag I found on it. No manufacturer name though. :-\

Depends - my brand new GCK brand axles from Autozone are using 36mm nuts, and while I do beleive that some rebuilders might put a different size nut on, I haven't experience that myself - either with any of the remaned units I've installed or any of the JY axles I've got. But yeah - certainly possible.... it may actually be a mistake on the part of the rebuilder - which wouldn't be the first time they have screwed up.

Difference between 2WD and 4WD axles is the shaft diameter AND the joint size. Different spline count on the shaft end as well.

Punch size can be either 3/16" or 7/32" (7/32" is a better fit, but either will work). The actual punch size is 6mm, but of course finding one is impossible.

GD

Ive gotten a shaft with a 32mm as well. Had to get the socket, but other than that no other tools or parts were needed. Its probably a reman axle, and the shop had to hone down the threads and rethread it. Not uncommon, if it makes you uncomfortable just take it back to the store and have them exchange it for a CV with a 36mm bolt. If they have one in stock it shouldnt be a problem.

-Brian

Ditto on what TSJ said. I had this happen to me. Except the parts store didnt have any more in stock and I'd already pulled the old axel before I looked at the new one.. Also, in my case the rod was not threaded enough and I had to get a washer over the regular axel washers in order to tighten the axel nut. correctly. Getting the cotter pin on right was also a pain. I will never accept a 32mm treaded axel again. Take your 36mm socket with you to the parts store and make sure its right before you leave.

Keith