Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Roof Racks: The who, what, and why

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:01 AM

As mentioned above, this is about roof racks. For instance, one that i would want to put on my car. ive checked out yakima's, and they have exactly what i need: basic stuff with capabilities for a bike on the top. unfortunately, the deal was priced at $320 friggin kahunas! there's gotta be a cheaper way to do this. just one bike on my roof is all i need, nothing more, for now anyway. any suggestions? i know a lot of you have custom stuff, which i wouldnt mind, considering it would be cheaper than the yakimas by a lot. thanks, skeet

#2 TheMeatWagon

TheMeatWagon

Subaru Wannabe

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Whidbey Island

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:03 AM

Hey man ive got a used yakima with 2 places for bikes. Its a little worn but still in good shape. I think it needs a new key too, it came with my car and i never got a key for it. But id let it go for a lot less then $320. Let me know.

#3 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:06 AM

i'd be interested if you were more local. wanna take a roadtrip? i have not the time/money/patience/energy for travelling long distances right now, and i want one before i go up to wash. area next summer. sorry, unless theres some way we can work this out easier.

#4 TheMeatWagon

TheMeatWagon

Subaru Wannabe

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Whidbey Island

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:22 AM

well the damn thing breaks down... the longest thing in it is like 3 feet tops and it can all fit into a pretty small box considering... I dont think shipping would really be that much and youd definately be savin off of $320

#5 henrysteele77

henrysteele77

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • milwaukie, or

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:45 AM

I bought a Thule roof rack for my wifeswagon a couple years ago. we really liked it . the price was about half the cost of the Yakima http://www.thuleracks.com

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:58 AM

I use the thule rack I got years ago for my Saab.. I jusrt had to buy new feet for it for the wagon.. I oaid about $35 for the original setup with feet and crossbars on eBay.. then another $35 for the subaru feet.. I got the bike rack attachments really cheap on eBay too

#7 dustyrider

dustyrider

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Palisade

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:08 AM

well the damn thing breaks down... the longest thing in it is like 3 feet tops and it can all fit into a pretty small box considering... I dont think shipping would really be that much and youd definately be savin off of $320

im interested in your roof rack??? i sent ya an email :)

#8 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:09 AM

im interested in your roof rack??? i sent ya an email :)

hey, now, gimme a chance. ill send you a pm, meat. thanks

#9 dustyrider

dustyrider

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Palisade

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:06 PM

hey, now, gimme a chance. ill send you a pm, meat. thanks

oh i thought you said you had it worked out with the differnt towers on ebay.
but that wasnt even you!:lol:
dont want to cut you out ;)

#10 the goat

the goat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • raleigh, nc

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

you will probably hate this but i found a complete thule roof rack system (2 bike holder trays and front wheel holders) at a flea market. i realized quickly the seller had no idea what he had so i offered him $10.00 for the whole thing and he took it. that was the greatest shopping day of my life. saved well over $350.00. what is my point? you never know what you might find at the local flea market.

#11 theDirtyRue

theDirtyRue

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:18 AM

And I was Just over in that area two months ago (Sanford, N.C). The deals I could have had....Someday...:-\

#12 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:23 AM

IDK about the bike attatchment but Mudrat79 is a fabrication master. I'd be willing to bet he could build one for a whole lot less than new.

#13 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

unfortunately im fresh out of flea markets. we do got some cockaroaches tho...:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users