Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof Racks: The who, what, and why

As mentioned above, this is about roof racks. For instance, one that i would want to put on my car. ive checked out yakima's, and they have exactly what i need: basic stuff with capabilities for a bike on the top. unfortunately, the deal was priced at $320 friggin kahunas! there's gotta be a cheaper way to do this. just one bike on my roof is all i need, nothing more, for now anyway. any suggestions? i know a lot of you have custom stuff, which i wouldnt mind, considering it would be cheaper than the yakimas by a lot. thanks, skeet

I use the thule rack I got years ago for my Saab.. I jusrt had to buy new feet for it for the wagon.. I oaid about $35 for the original setup with feet and crossbars on eBay.. then another $35 for the subaru feet.. I got the bike rack attachments really cheap on eBay too

you will probably hate this but i found a complete thule roof rack system (2 bike holder trays and front wheel holders) at a flea market. i realized quickly the seller had no idea what he had so i offered him $10.00 for the whole thing and he took it. that was the greatest shopping day of my life. saved well over $350.00. what is my point? you never know what you might find at the local flea market.