Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 GL10 4wd Turbo AT

Hey guys,

New to the neighborhood here but most of you really sound like you know what you are talking about. I've got a problem. I'm trying to sell my "Super-u" :) but being in CA I have to smog first. So she passed emissions but the functional test made me take it in to a tech who is saying it needs a new computer to make the check engine light go off. I understand this to mean the ECU and he is telling me it will cost something like $500 just for the rebuilt computer!!! At this point it may cost more to smog than to sell and I'd really like to make SOMETHING off of this deal. PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic although I have some limited knowledge of this particular car and the work we have done on it. It's still in good shape but obviously smogging can be hell.

The check engine light is on because theres an error code. Seroiusly doubt that it needs a new ECU

under the dash, to the left of the steering column, there are 2 green connector, plug them in, turn the key on and count the flashes of the light on the computer. that will give you the error code and tell you what needs to be fixed.

If in fact you do need a new computer, let me know. I have one here for an 88 Turbo that I will let go for substantially less than $500

Do you want to sell your wagon as is?

Hey guys,

New to the neighborhood here but most of you really sound like you know what you are talking about. I've got a problem. I'm trying to sell my "Super-u" :) but being in CA I have to smog first. So she passed emissions but the functional test made me take it in to a tech who is saying it needs a new computer to make the check engine light go off. I understand this to mean the ECU and he is telling me it will cost something like $500 just for the rebuilt computer!!! At this point it may cost more to smog than to sell and I'd really like to make SOMETHING off of this deal. PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic although I have some limited knowledge of this particular car and the work we have done on it. It's still in good shape but obviously smogging can be hell.