Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Southwest meet, anyone?

Is there anyone in the southwest area (AZ, NV, CA, UT) that would like to share a weekend with fellow subaru owners and off roaders? We could meet wherever there was dirt roads and wherever people would want to go. Feel free to post yay or nay to this idea.

I'm just looking for some way to meet some of the boardmembers down south, since the north end of the country seems to be quite covered with ants (er, members).:drunk:

thanks for your replies, should there be any. skeet

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in yuma... but i'm currently in iraq... lil' roo should be up for some 4xing in early january. and i am planning on getting a run together with sweet82 up at moab sometime this coming spring. let me know. i know some places in southern cali... and some trails in northern az. i've never been there but i got gps coordinates and maps. none for nevada though. big bear area in cali has got some trails, same with flagstaff, AZ area. i got the books back home in yuma. and i got some trail info for moab too.

we could hold a west coast stomper meet... :) check my website...

i've got to put the new rear axle and suspension into lil' roo. i figure with luck it'll be done. by january sometime. hopefully...

let me know if you want to. i won't be even back in the states till before christmas.

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

dang, wish my car was up to your trip standards, roo. many of those things are on the list of things to do to my car, but i still have to keep this my daily driver as well. i cant go on any of those but the easy sissy runs. oh well.

plans still open fer anyone else.

what do you mean you can't make any of those trails.... trails in those areas are from forest service style roads to most difficult. they aren't all hard. the difficulty of the trails i go on depends on how set up the other vehicles i'm going with are. but there are easy trails in all of those places that a close to stock or mildly lifted soob would have little to no problem making. even in moab there's trails you can make! trust me i wheeled around a stocker for a few months. then for a year or 2 on a 4/3" pk lift. with 26" and 27" tires. i know where you can and can't go. but there's plenty of non hardcore wheeling to be had in those areas. let me know if you are interested at all. and in january i'll hustle to get my car finished and we can go out wheeling. how far into nevada do you live??

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

I've been down in St. George UT watching the UROC Pro & Unlimited class, Rock Crawling. That was great!

It lets me know just how off-road challenged I really am!:rolleyes:

I'm up for playing around Utah or somewhere nearby?

The trailer Queen "Summer" is still with out a tow rig and trailer but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

hey jared, im in that wonderful city i like to call sodom & gomora, but in reality it is called las vegas. i can go pretty much anywhere within a 3-4 hr. radius o' that, which includes:

phoenix, tucson, scottsdale, grand canyon in AZ

Cedar city, st. george, lake powell (maybe) in UT

Death valley, lake mead/mojave, colorado R. in NV

(close to) LA/San Bern. area, barstow in CA

i dont think my car can handle too much more of a distance, and if it breaks somewhere i dont want to be too far from help/home. believe me, it takes a long time to get back to some sort of civilization after leaving vegas. not that the city qualifies for anything civilized, mind you...

since moab (and alike areas) was mentioned, would anyone be opposed to having a little biking going on as well? there's too many bike trails for me to pass up while im up there. or down there, depending where we meet.

Hmm.....

I am getting married on December 5th. So late winter/early spring would be great. That way I can give my new wife some time to get use to the idea of mud and dirt. Even if we made it something that was annual.

BTW she is currently a soob driver, as her Honda Civic is not registered. She got a compliment on my how mean my Impreza sounds. Hope to make her a soob appreciator one day. I think lover or fanatic is too much to ask for.

i understand the distance to civilization! it's 2 and a half to 3 hours to any decent sized town... san bernadino, northern AZ and utah sounds good! early spring would probably be best. if it's more than a 300 mile radius from yuma i have to put in special requests... and for moab i'll have to request leave... man how i can't wait to be a civilian.

but i hope to go wheeling with you guys. i have all the parts but the steel to finish my lil' roo project for now. then i start #2....... hehehehe.....

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.funtreks.com/

i buy these books. they are very well put together. i have arizona, utah, and southern cali back in my barracks rom in the USA. so i can research all that back there. i'm also gonna buy a couple more for norhter cali, and there's another company that makes some more fr san bernadino area. lots of god info and ph#'s and address to find out more info.

• 3 weeks later...

Another from CO..

I been to Las Vegas AZ. not too bad of an area, little hot for me. friend of mine had a lot of family out there. if i make the academy, maybe the start of june i'll be up for a SW meet. be my last taste of civilization (wouldn't have it any other way..)

But i can't make a SW meet now, while i'm in school and such.

maxbrat: may i suggest to wait till your at least 18 to have a 'civilization celebration' in vegas, for more than just the obvious reason (clubs)... curfew for minors is 7:00 pm on the strip.

i guess end of june would be best for nearly everyone interested, so may this topic come back up nearer to then. until then, adieu.

what about a grand canyon meet?... they are all easy graded trails. except one is an intermediate. and what i've seen of intermediate from this guide book a stock subie shouldn't have much of a problem... just a thought. there's a bunch of trails that are supposed to get to parts of the canyon 99% of the visitors never see!

i got several guidebooks for utah, arizona and california. so just let me know what you want to get together and we'll put it together! i'm thinking by may to june would be perfect.

max brat, are going to an air force academy or what?? have fun with that. civilization celebration... i've held off going to las vegas to party, till i'm 21... that way i can legally enjoy the full party! that's this april when i get back from iraq! of course in the military we don't drink under age... cough, cough, only supplied by our supieriors...

Skeet throw out some ideas for places you'd like to have a meet. light offroad, city, camping trip. throw some more ideas out. and i'll start looking harder for setting stuff up. I'll gladly start setting up and organizing. and getting a rough idea of differant plans. trail runs, see what size of groups require permits and such. or if any...

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

Jared,

Are you talking about the NW corner or AZ? I have heard of several trails in that general area like what your describing. I have a buddy that is trying to get me to go down there and check those out.

Subaskeet, there is a handful of biking trails in the St. George Area. You should try them some weekend. I have been on the J.E.M trail near Hurricane, just outside of St. George.

Glenn,

i like the idea of grand canyon. anyone familiar with the phoenix area at all? we could trail ride all day and either camp out (what i prefer to do, maybe next to the river so i can fish) or drive back to town for some partying. or perhaps both. any ideas on how long the meet should be for? for some this trip would be a day's worth of driving, so im vouching for at least a weekend.

sweet82: once i get my car fixed (tons o' problems as of late... started with not having gear oil in da tranny. not my fault, the shop's) i'll be tearing up zion NP and friends with my diamondback perrty soon. i got a place up in cedar city to stay so ive made the trip a hundred times. heh, while were in the organizing mood, why dont we get a bike run going...:brow:

jared: affirmative on the AF academy, things are looking good for me as of now (congressional/physical crap)and as for illegal military drinking, soon as you have a military id out here, the sky's the limit. have a few friends in the guard.

and Desert destroyer; don't worry. come 2 months i'll be 18.

grand canyon sounds rad.

just called a dude from a company called Blindfold tours. He would consider taking us up to an area near bryce canyon on the Utah side. There is a meadow up there that we can camp at. Then there are lots of trails that we can hit around that area. He is not set on a price but he is willing to do some research to see if we need permits from the US Forest service etc. He said that terrain would vary from forest road to sand to slick rock.

Want to form a committee to get this off of the drawing board and into action?

Willing to help, but maybe a little limited due to wedding plans and such.

BW

oh... one more note. Spoke to Fiance/future wifey about this trip. She expressed interest but was concerned about the group being rowdy. Told her that peeps here are not like a bunch of uneducated gearheads that cuss and rant and rave with every word. but I do plan to make this a family trip.

Ok so maybe hte uneducated is right.. hehe