Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat pricing

ok, yeah, this one's no where near perfect, half the body parts like doors,fenders, and hood don't line up, it's got bad wheel bearings and not working breaks... And I'm unable to get certain people to help me with it and I don't think it's worth the money to send off to a shop to fix it. I'm a little bit upset with it right now and Might sell it... I'm thinking about it still. At this point, I think it'll only make a good offroad beater... it'll never look nice. And I don't really have the room or money for 2 cars so I don't think it's gonna stick around if I find a working in decent shape car.

It Depends. How much work DOES it need? Another question to ask is how much is it worth to you. I'm going through the same thing with my wagon right now. I need almost $600 to fix it and I only paid $800. The things I need to fix arent that bad, but they just add up.

In the end, It's your call. You keep asking here, someone probably give you a low ball offer to "take it off your hands".

good luck,

LOL maybe, I was P.O.ed at it earlier when I started this tread. if it isn't obvious. But I'm sticking rear disc brakes on it to fix the brake problem. It needs some frame streightening work I think... and a new front bearing. The bearing part looks doable... I'm just having a hard time getting the parts from someone who offered them to me. I orginally wanted to get that sucker repainted this summer, but, that didn't happen. It's just an old project driving me nuts cause I was hoping it'd be done by now, and still has the same problems it had when I got it, except, for the engine. At this point, I've done so much work on it, and it hasn't really paid off yet... so I've been getting fustrated with it. But I'm hoping I'll feel much better when I get it done. If I get it done.

It's just an old project driving me nuts cause I was hoping it'd be done by now, and still has the same problems it had when I got it, except, for the engine. At this point, I've done so much work on it, and it hasn't really paid off yet... so I've been getting fustrated with it.

DEFINATLEY know what you mean!

Try to keep it alive if you can. I'm going through the same thing with my '78 Brat and I'll stick to it. So far I have had shocks, struts, front axles, brake calipers and pads, and last night a front wheel bearing was replaced. The alternator is shot and it needs a MAJOR tune-up. The exhaust system is leaking.

It looks great, it would have taken second prize at a show Tuesday night, but it's a mechanical mess and wasn't there to compete!

A used transmission (69,000 mi.) will be installed next week along with a new clutch kit and most likely new rear axles while it's apart. I didn't pay a cheap price for the Brat either.

I found a moonlighter with access to a lift and the proper TOOLS! He's fairly reasonable for labor charges. Look around, you may find someone like him in your area.

Best of luck!

Hang in there on this Brat. Rust free bodies are not growing on trees.

Here's what I've been through: Found a brat that had been in a minor front end wreck. 87,xxx miles on it, no rust. $700 for the brat as is. $120 to get it to pass smog so I could register it. I had the frame rails pulled to straighten out front end ($240 at a body shop), Replaced both front fenders, hood and air cowling ($125 at JY), (Paint job and some dent repair ($625 at earl sheib), seat covers ($20), replaced radio console ($50 ebay), mudflaps ($25 USMB), third eye conversion ($50 USMB + $10 radio shack), brushguard ($20 craigslist-SF), replaced left taillight ($15 USMB).

So far I've got $2000 into the Brat and it still needs:

Rear brakes (convert to discs or new drums probably, ~$200)

Muffler (~$75)

Rebuilt Carburetor (hopefully not, but I'm having issues with it right now, $240)

So, when my "project car" becomes my potential daily driver, I'll be into it about $2500 (not including registration fees and insurance). But I'll have one of the only Brats in Northern California, it will look great, be in good mechanical shape, and essentially rust free.

I've had the luxury of it being my back up car, with plenty of time and *enough* money to do things right.

My vote is to keep it and drive it:cool:. That is why these things go for so much on e-bay. They don't grow on trees and they are cool!

Keith

It's never going to be done; and thats okay! Sounds like she's in rough shape . I wouldnt worry about how beat up it is. She'll never be a show car and honestly there isnt much to show as most people dont care about old Subarus.

Nothing wrong with just making it an offroad rig. That's all my wagon is; a trail rig. It handels like crap, it looks like crap, its slow as crap and the brakes...you get the idea :)

If it truely wont make you happy then ditch it and get a wagon, hatch, or XT. No sense in keeping a car you hate. But if she puts a smile on your face when you fire it up and you enjoy driving it around then keep it. I know I get pretty angry at my wagon some times. I've almost got 6 years into it now... months after months it has sat at a time. But when I get it fired up and on a trail its ALL worth it to ME!

Is it worth it to you?

I won't go into price and cost, but here's what I had to do to get Bob into shape after I bought it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/offroad/august2002/PDC_0112.JPG

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/offroad/august2002/PDC_0149.JPG

http://community.webshots.com/photo/37919799/60788769eqYlqp

headlights

bulb for 3rd eye

headlightbezels

grill

fenders pounded to shape

front bumper

rear bumper

custom roll bar

hood

engine

exaust

new weber

tranny

windshield

t-tops

rear slider

seats

center console

dashcover

carpet

struts

shocks

rear discs

rear trailing arm

both front axles

tail lights

paint, bed, rollbar too

bobbed 12 inches of rust from the rear

lift kit

tires/wheels

rear diff

battery

mirrors

radio

antenna

probably a few things I can't remember. It all depends how dedicated you are, and how much you love the idea of bringing a brat back from the dead. That one took 6 weeks and no end of labor. . .

The way you describe your brat and what's needed, I'd give it a 600 dollar value. You could sell the topper seperately for 150 bucks or so.

Or you could have some patience and let it be finished when it's finished. You have a nother car to drive in the meantime.

Keep it. I have never seen another BRAT being driven. There are three that I know of that are sitting as their owners piddle around with it. Yes it's frustrating. I have to replaced

both rear wheel bearings

driver side axle

Pass side CV boots

both seats,

wheels (found 15inch pugs)

left fender

rear seats/head rests/seat belts

distributor cap/rotor (wires soon)

front bumper

I think I have another $1000 to go until I will be happy with it.

But everytime I look at it or when I get dirty with it's black blood. I am happy

BW

Well, it's come a long way... The plus side to this car, is it has a really good running engine in it. it just needs everything else done... and yeah the fact that it's a rust free body does make it hard for me to really actually sell the car. I've decided what I need to do is find another car I can drive for a month and get all the major stuff I want done on it, done... so the rest can be fixed within a few hours per day. Part of my problem is, I work every single day of the week, so I don't have much time to work on it in one day, and it's my only way of getting to work. Slows me down lol. Wonder if anyone's got any wagons sitting around on the market place they're trying to get rid of for cheap... I think I'll post an add lol, but hey, thanks for puttin up with my ranting and thanks for the imput guys.:)