Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights vibrating loose and going out.

I have 98 OBW that has a peculiar problem.

I have experienced my headlights vibrating or working themselves loose to the point of going out. My driver's side has done it twice (the first time I went to replace the bulb and as soon as I touched it to disconnect the plug the light came back on) and last night it happened to my pass. side all I had to do was tap the plug (under the hood) with my hand and the headlight came back ON...weird.

I have a connection "challenge" with mine on my 97 OB, but, I'm running higher wattage bulbs. The additional heat causes the collection to loosen. But the plug does not physically work off of the prongs. I have the H4 bulbs. I think you have the 9007s?

I've poked a small screwdriver (or file handle tip) into the connector to squeeze the metal connector together. It helps for a while. (Note - I'm not inserting where the male blade connector goes, but outside of the female connector part.) Recently, I've just simply bent the prongs of the bulb a bit. It seems to work. I've considered actually twisting them a little to get even better grip, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I never had any issue when I was running regular wattage bulbs.

Commuter