Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing off. sounds like it has exhaust leak

s'ko

Ok so while replacing the fuel pump, I played with the timing a bit. I didn't have a timing gun so now it's running funny. I plan to get a gun tonight and work on it a bit. What I am confused about is that the exhaust on the passenger side is really loud. Before the timing was messed with it ran great. Could the bad timing produce sound similar to a exhaust leak or can good timing cover prevent a small exhaust leak from not being noticable?

It just doesn't make sense to have an exhaust leak happen overnight.

BW

ok here's a good lesson to learn how to do timing by ear/without a gun...

I like to pull the disty, pull the #1 plug out to the point where its bein hld in by a couple of threads. I then crank the motor over by hand until I hear a loud hissing from the compression coming out between the plug and the hole. I then look for the timing marks right after the hissing has stopped. If I don't see them, then I know I have to turn it again until I hear the hissing again. Then I would see the timing marks right after the hissing has stopped and set the flywheel so 8 BTDC is pointing right at the pointer on the case. I then drop the disty back in so it points to the #1 plug wire on the cap. Bolt it al back together, hop in and see if it'll fire. If it does and it runs ok, then you can start timing it by ear until she runs good:D I did it on the Brat when I first dropped my electronic disty in until I could get a timing light on it.......