Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so today i was sitting in trafic on I-95 with the A/C running, i really only use my AC when i have people in the car. anyways i look down and the car is running a but warm, 5 mins later i look down and its about to go into the red. i turn the heat up and pull of to the side and check for leaks or anything and all looked fine i had left the egine running and it had cooled of in this time so i continued on my way. Strange thing was it wasn't a very hot day maybe 80 at the most. I've used the AC in 90+ degree heat this summer and nothing has happened. i just replaced all the fluids including the coolant about 2 months ago so i know its fresh but i also have used it since replacing things. i drove another 30 miles no problem. Does this sound like a thermostat? raditor? water pump? I did see a brat in great condition a little while later so that cheared me up a bit. thanks guys....

01 Impreza OBS 5mt

75,000 miles

so today i was sitting in trafic on I-95 with the A/C running, i really only use my AC when i have people in the car. anyways i look down and the car is running a but warm, 5 mins later i look down and its about to go into the red. i turn the heat up and pull of to the side and check for leaks or anything and all looked fine i had left the egine running and it had cooled of in this time so i continued on my way. Strange thing was it wasn't a very hot day maybe 80 at the most. I've used the AC in 90+ degree heat this summer and nothing has happened. i just replaced all the fluids including the coolant about 2 months ago so i know its fresh but i also have used it since replacing things. i drove another 30 miles no problem. Does this sound like a thermostat? raditor? water pump? I did see a brat in great condition a little while later so that cheared me up a bit. thanks guys....

01 Impreza OBS 5mt

75,000 miles

Yeah I'm having an over heating issue myself. Already replaced the radiator cap and thermostat. But the bastard is so tempermental that I don't know if I fixed it or not. It will be fine and about 60-80 degrees outside and then from no where it just shoots up on the temp gauge. Weird thing is my heater doesn't work when it is over heating. I've bleed the radiator of any air pockets too. Looks like tomorrow will be a flush and new water pump.

well today i messed around a bit and figured out that one of the fan's wasn't working. After i found out Subaru wanted over 200 for one of these i starting messing around some more and looked at the relays, it was missing! I've owned this car for 3 months and have not found this out untill now. my question is in the relay compartment there are 4 spaces for fan relays they are labled Main Fan 1, Main fan 2, Sub Fan 1, Sub fan 2. The only one with anythign in it is main fan 1 when i put a relay into main fan 2 both fans start up and everythign is good. does anyone know what the other 2 spaces are for, should get relays for them to? thanks for your help.